to many problems part two

XjShake

So here goes part 2... part one is in general chat area.... ok so here goes the current problems.... I have a VERY rough idle... she smokes like a freight train.... I'm having troubles getting my transfer case to engage.... the steering feels loose... I think it might be a bashing issue.... my rear main seal is leaking.... I need to replace my inner front axle seals... how hard is that.... how hard do you think it would he to weld a piece of steel in my door frame to put my door on correctly? And there isn't any sway bars on the thing... do you guys think I should keep pouring money into her or count my loses or is this just a xj thing... I believe the saying jeep stands for just empty every pocket but jeez... any help on any of Tue problems would be greatly appreciated... please help

sounds like it may be cheaper just to get another ,

I'd try my best to drive it a bit. If you've had it for 7 months and only put 100 miles on it, it may just need a couple of tanks of gas to sort itself out (idle and smoke that is).

I wouldn't do anything to it other than getting it to run. If you're able to get it running dependably, then I'd worry about the doors, steering, swaybar, and transfer case. Fixing these things won't do any good if it won't idle or run.

Last edited:
When it comes to tech questions, it's best to post them in separate threads, not the shotgun effect as you have here.

Like I mentioned in your other thread, I'd fix this one with gasoline and a match, cut your losses. There's a lot of inexpensive good XJ's out there.

What kind of smoke color smell sight and sputtering could be part of smock or a sensor and wheel bearings did you put the proper preload on them its 175 ft pounds on the axle nut maybe buy another jeep use this one for parts or keep workin out the kinks

I've been thinking bout getting a different one and taking the lift and tires and whatever else is salvageable and sticking them on another xj... thanx for the advice.. didn't mean to through all this out together but I'm kinda upset with my jeep so I was ranting and raving... wifes tired of me griping bout it to her lol

I agree with the Bounty Hunter. There are a lot of good quality XJs out there you can get for a song (actually a few $$$).

It sounds like the previous owner(s) of your current XJ beat the fire out of it and you got stuck with the fix up.

That's not all bad if you have this Jeep as a project...but I believe you said you need it as a daily driver.

I'd use this one as a parts XJ for one in better drive-able condition.

Just my 2 cents worth before taxes.

Larry

I think ya got good advice from everybody here,after reading part 2 of your xj problems,I was thinking the same thing as larrymo49,keep this one for parts and as a teaching aid,and get anouther xj.I would proceed with the engine and figure out why it's smokeing and running like crap. I'm learning about how these machines are put togeather and work myself,thats why I visit this site every day so that maybe I can learn something. Good luck, keep us posted on your engine situation.

I'd address the smoking issue first. Run your finger inside the exhaust end opening and see if it comes out oily. Smell the exhaust, does it smell like fuel or oil? Pull a few plugs and see what they look like. Take the oil filler cap off and see if pressure is coming out the hole. Lightly hold your palm over the opening (before the motor heats up much) and rev the engine, see if you can feel pressure.
Might be as simple as sorting out your crankcase vent system. Is your air filter covered in oil.
When my vent system was plugged, it would pump a lot of oil out of the rear main, after sorting out the vent system the rear main leak turned into minor seep.

I've had everything you have but the missing sway bars. Managed to fix it all eventually. I considered it a challenge. My 88 now runs better than my 96.

A compression test is a good place to start on any new to you engine. Checking the spark plugs for deposits is also fairly easy and tells a story.

:rolleyes: I would be willing to sell the 88 I have :rolleyes:
Have more jeeps than I know what to do with :shock: ,
there just too darn addicting :D
but I must admit there just way to fun to drive to say no :shades:

MudderChuck said:
I'd address the smoking issue first. Run your finger inside the exhaust end opening and see if it comes out oily. Smell the exhaust, does it smell like fuel or oil? Pull a few plugs and see what they look like. Take the oil filler cap off and see if pressure is coming out the hole. Lightly hold your palm over the opening (before the motor heats up much) and rev the engine, see if you can feel pressure.
Might be as simple as sorting out your crankcase vent system. Is your air filter covered in oil.
When my vent system was plugged, it would pump a lot of oil out of the rear main, after sorting out the vent system the rear main leak turned into minor seep.

A compression test is a good place to start on any new to you engine. Checking the spark plugs for deposits is also fairly easy and tells a story.

The smoke is a white color exhaust smells like gas the plugs are black and yes there is oil in my air box... I did some research and they was talking about the baffles in the valve cover being dirty... there is tons of hunk in the valve cover... I've been changing the oil quite often trying to get some of it out.... ill have to wait until next weekend to change the plugs and wire because I spent my heep allowance this week.... I just check the exhaust and no oil just a lot of black crap...(not sure how to spell soot or however you spell it)

Sounds like its plugged to me and by the looks of the pics i seen it probably would do good to go through that engine and clean or rebuild your getting blow by which is usually caused by plugged ventilation

That's what I was thinking... i gotta put a new radiator in my sinfire so I can drive it while I rebuild

XjShake said:
That's what I was thinking... i gotta put a new radiator in my sinfire so I can drive it while I rebuild

Good idea if you were closer i would help

The only time I'd think about a rebuild is catastrophic failure or very low compression.
Remove the small air vent line from your valve cover and blow through it, it is likely plugged. Then blow through the hole into the valve cover, it is also likely plugged.
Check out the vacuum line to your MAP, two holes to pug it into on the throttle body, only one goes all the way through and supplies vacuum.
Take the MAP vacuum line off and blow through it, cover one end with a finger and suck a little.
Unplug the MAP and check the pins, in the MAP and the harness connector.
I don't replace spark plug cables anymore, I ohm test them, wiggle them around some while I ohm test them and reuse them. One good thing about the Renix, is the ignition system, with the exception of maybe the distributor cap and rotor, is pretty darned good.
Check your spark it should be sharp and crisp blue/white. If it is thick and yellow you likely have an issue.
If you have a timing light, hook it up to the spark plug cables one at a time, point it at something dark and watch for a miss. A quick way to nail down which cylinders/spark plugs/wires may be causing problems. If they all miss, it is likely between the coil and the distributor cap out poles.

Back