Axle shaft trouble

XjShake

I an having a dilemma.. I have tried every part store in town and I can not find the right u joint that goes on my axle shaft... The ones from oriellys fit but they have the type of pin like on a drive shaft and I need one with a c clip... The entire assembly says spicer... Is that factory or replacement? What's the best way of finding the right one?

Front axle shaft. I run spicer 760s. But i have abs so my u joints are bigger.

Dunno.. I am running a booster and mc from a 99... How do I check? .i know its a dumb question but I'm not ever brightest crayon

Your axle shafts will have a ring near the hub with teeth on it for the abs sensor. No abs used a spicer 260 u joint and with abs they used a spicer 297. Which is now a 760x. I bet yours has the 260.

You have the smaller joints. 94 and older use 5-260x (Spicer 760) 95 and newer have 5-297x.

Actually the spicer 760 is the replacement for 297. Spicer phased out the 297. The760 goes in abs equipt xjs my 92 has the larger ones. The 260s were used in older non abs xjs.

And 95 and newer also use the 760. As well as alot of dana44s. If you want to upgrade your diff find a xj with abs and take the axle shafts that have the bigger joint.

This is all right from the spicer catalog i have in my hand. Im not trying be a jerk just trying to get his rig mobile.

Oh I know.. I had a spare but I an gonna need another spare at any time... I think it is the smaller one.. 260? I got some strom auto zone tgat were to big so I'm assuming they weren't correct.. I might just take up your idea of getting bogger shafts from a newer dana 30...

I got on the spicer website before I posted.. At three time I didn't know about the abs on a 89.. Thanx guys

It helps. Yours will be the 260. The bigger joints are def worthwhile. I have yet to break one. I wore out a few joints due to mileage. I weld my caps in as well. That way if it fails the cap stays in and the yoke doesnt get damaged.

What is the best hub assembly to buy? This gets old quick

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110122_234414.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110122_234414.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 143
  • ForumRunner_20110122_234441.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110122_234441.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 144
Actually the spicer 760 is the replacement for 297. Spicer phased out the 297. The760 goes in abs equipt xjs my 92 has the larger ones. The 260s were used in older non abs xjs.

you can still buy 297's they have a grease fitting vs the 760 that does not.. if it's the xj in his stats then i'd bet on a 260 size joint..

What is the best hub assembly to buy? This gets old quick

i'd invest in a harbor freight side hammer, a wire wheel and some anti seeze.. that will help you a lot, and be less of pain the next time ya need to change either a joint or hub...

tow_hook said:
you can still buy 297's they have a grease fitting vs the 760 that does not.. if it's the xj in his stats then i'd bet on a 260 size joint..

The 760s are forged as well. Considerably stronger

Lol I don't. I break any u joint that has a grease fitting. I have never had any luck with them.

Back