Engine swap in a 1994 Grand Cherokee

JCOTTRELL126

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the I6 4.0 engine in it. I am looking to replace this engine need to know what years are compatible with my Jeep. I found an engine that has a casting block number EF8933002666CJ on it... Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean? The guy that has this engine said he took it out of a totaled Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple years ago, he cant remember the exact year but he "wants to say" that it's out of a 1990 OR a 91. Given the engine block casting numbers previously stated... does this make sense seem logical? Will this engine bolt right in my 1994 Grand Cherokee? I noticed that the fuel rail assembly is different... will that cause an issue? Can I take the fuel rail assembly off of my old engine swap it out with this one?

go to the autoparts store and compare intake manifold gaskets, if they are the same then just swap heads....it will save you time and money

If it's a 90 or 91 it's not a grand but a regular cherokee. That said I swapped a 4L out of a 91 cherokee into my old 93 grand but I used the intake from the grand as well as the accessory brackets. 91 to 99 should work. 90 and earlier are renix and a little different and 2000 and up are distributorless.

So... without having taken this engine and transmission out myself and the guy not being able to fully remember what year the jeep was that he pulled it from, how can I find out exactly what year its out of? Or can I? He said its either a 90 or a
91. If a 91 works and a 90 won't, what exactly is the difference? Can I just but new mounts or something to make it work?

i put a 87 cherokee 4.0 in my 94 yj but i had to swap heads(with manifold intact) and cranks....my problem was the pilot bearing wasnt the same, all in all, either way you go you should be ableto swap it....the mounts are probily the same...they were for mine

90 is a Renix injection system and 91 is MPI. Google the renix so you can ID it. Renix also uses a knock sensor and different distributor.

I finally got started on this swap.... HOLY CRAP! This has turned out to be a major job. We have had to basically take the original engine and transmission out, strip both engines down completely and swap all the "parts" out. I mean we had to swap out the starter, altenator, fuel rail, intake, exhaust... you name it... we changed it out.

The good news is, right before we let for the night, we turned the key just to make sure the Jeep would atleast turn over.... and it started right up! I quickly shut it off as we dont have the radiator and all that finished yet.... but it started and that was my main concern!

Thanks guys for all the input and tips on this swap! I appreciate it alot!

Back