Over charging really bad

Jayare250

I have a 90 xj and just recently put a high output alternator. 105 amp I think. I got it from napa, it was better than stock and not much more cost. My problem started yesterday when I picked up a optima red top because my old battery was getting old and after running the winch a time or two (on those bad days) it would take forever to charge back up. The new battery worked great until I got stuck and after winching out everything started. When I started to drive on down the trail it pegged the volt gauge and my headlights blew out. I have done some research and I think it is one of four things. A ground, the ECM, the new battery shorting out (although I doubt it, but possible) or the alternator. I just wanted some other input or if someone else has had or heard of this. Thanks

Has to be the regulator. Well, most likely. The alternator should be grounded very well through the mounts. Normally a bad battery will not lead to that high charging. Now, if the ECM has the regulator, then that could be the problem. If the alternator has an internal regulator, that is the problem.

Back