98 ZJ what do i need

theginger969

hey so im about to buy a 98 grand cherokee, and im going to put a suspension lift on it. but i need to know some good quality but some what cheaper kits. i was looking at the 3.5in from rough country Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Suspension Lift
but im going to need to know what size tires this baby can take without destroying my steering box, (i don't want to end up getting that annoying click) it upsets me that i can't find a manual transmission jeep in my priceline but oh well life goes on, and im going to make the best of what i can. but man im gonna miss stick

That kit will clear 31s without trimming but they will rub at full stuff.

In Wranglers they are but in Cherokees and Grands they are a little more rare, especially Grands, and so tend to run a bit higher.

That sucks big time. I can't even imagine having to deal with an automatic. Good luck in your adventures.

im still loooking but i can't find any in my area and in my price range, ive only got 2 grand, i have found a wrangler through a friend and the guy is to high in price for what the car needs, if you wanna help me find me one that be sweet, its gotta be within a 100 miles from bridgeport pa 19405

Read my introduction in the new members area. All things i have done has worked perfect. I run 31" BFGs and dont rub EVER! Just a little trimming and 33" are possible. Take it from me I have a 98 GC with a 4"rough country. Great lift. Out the door installed with a few extras at $950.

Guess you still run sway bars because my little brother has the same lift with 31 MTZs (actually measure 31 unlike some BFGs) and he rubs front and rear off road. On the street it's fine. We just take his bumpers off when he rides.

It will rub if you don't do any spacers. I rubbed at first. Picked up some 1.5" spacers and and now it wont rub even when fully flexed out with swaybar disconnected with room to spare. If your nervous grind off all the little flanges in the wheel well.

xjmarc said:
Guess you still run sway bars because my little brother has the same lift with 31 MTZs (actually measure 31 unlike some BFGs) and he rubs front and rear off road. On the street it's fine. We just take his bumpers off when he rides.

Tires should not run into the bumpers under any circumstance. Sounds like the axels are "stretched" too far eg control arms set too long. This can be checked by how much the drivelines actually go into the axels.

Last edited:
Well to be honest i would go the next step and get the new rough county 4in series II lift kit for a little more lift to fit the 31's better but it all depends on how much off roading you do. The series 2 kit is a fixed arm kit that would be great for daily drivers. But if you do more off-roading than other people then i would actually say get the next step up and get the 4inch x-series kit. This kit has the flexible arms so you can get a little more flex out on the trail. But go with what works for you and your jeep

XJsport95 said:
Well to be honest i would go the next step and get the new rough county 4in series II lift kit for a little more lift to fit the 31's better but it all depends on how much off roading you do. The series 2 kit is a fixed arm kit that would be great for daily drivers. But if you do more off-roading than other people then i would actually say get the next step up and get the 4inch x-series kit. This kit has the flexible arms so you can get a little more flex out on the trail. But go with what works for you and your jeep

I got the x series. Its awesome.

its on my ZJ but its to cold up here in michigan to go wheeling just yet. plus there is snow everywhere and its hard on stuff

He doesn't need spacers, he runs 8"wheels with 3.75" of backspacing. The arms are fixed so no stretch and no adjustment. Bushings are wearing fast but that's a RC thing.

xjmarc said:
He doesn't need spacers, he runs 8"wheels with 3.75" of backspacing. The arms are fixed so no stretch and no adjustment. Bushings are wearing fast but that's a RC thing.

I think bushings are a zj thing. I have always needed a new bushing somewhere. Always. Replace one and the next one down the line needs it.

I had RE arms on my old ZJ and my cousin runs it now, 5 years later and they are still good.

Honestly the zj in my opinion is the king of Cherokees most notably the 98. I have compared mine to many many others on and off-road and it has been superior in every way. It is all coil stock and it has a little but not too much luxury to at as well. A little pricey to fix tho. I've had mine 8 years and it has 260000 miles on it and has never under any condition left me stranded. It always without fail gets me home. Even after "eating" a Stratus, neon and Toyota truck.
Excellent buy my friend. How much was it. I have been hunting for one for the wife but can't find one for what I think I should pay.

Honestly the zj in my opinion is the king of Cherokees most notably the 98. I have compared mine to many many others on and off-road and it has been superior in every way. It is all coil stock and it has a little but not too much luxury to at as well. A little pricey to fix tho. I've had mine 8 years and it has 260000 miles on it and has never under any condition left me stranded. It always without fail gets me home. Even after "eating" a Stratus, neon and Toyota truck.
Excellent buy my friend. How much was it. I have been hunting for one for the wife but can't find one for what I think I should pay.

1800 but someone beat me to it, i found a 87 5.0L wrangler with a ford 8.8 rear, and a 4spd f-250 manual transmission, with a bunch of other bells and whistles, goin to look at it friday

Back