86' Cherokee won't start...

BDonivan

Hello, all-
I have an '86 Cherokee (Franken-Jeep) that mysteriously will not start this morning- seemed fine yesterday! I turn the key, and nothing happens (except watching the water temp. gauge peg out). I checked the starter by jumping the connection, so I rule out the starter. My next guess is the ICM has gone bad... Any help would be appreciated, as I am in a tight spot without wheels until I get this fixed!
Thanks-
Brian

Hah!!! Replaced the ignition switch on the steering column- problem solved!
2-19-2011

Last edited:

Check the grounding wires that run from battery to ignition coil bracket. They get loose and dirty.

Check the grounding wires that run from battery to ignition coil bracket. They get loose and dirty.

Hmmm... I have no grounding wires from the battery other than the ground to the engine block. The previous owner switched out the manual trans. for an automatic (what was he thinking?!?!) and the wiring has quite a few loose connections. It has been running, however, so I'm a little perplexed. I did get out some carb. cleaner, and cleaned connections that I could, but no dice. I'm guessing maybe it is the ignition or neutral start switch(es)? Any other advice or input?

Last edited:
Back