Engine makes a loud squealing noise while under a load!!!

Richroc

When I start my 97 jeep cherokee sport up it idles fine and does not make any noise, but when I turn on my a/c it makes an unbearable squealing noise that won't stop. When I rev the motor the squealing gets louder, and it only seems to do it when it is under a load. I replaced the belt with a new one. The squealing sound sounds like it is coming from the water pump or the power steering pump or the idler pulley....Help please!!!

If it's only when a/c is turned on sounds like the compressor is seized

Idler pulley can do that. Happened to me once. $12 fix. Do that first. If it still does it it is most likely a seized compressor as stated above.

My 96 was the same way. The belt is very sensitive. Too loose or too tight it will squeal. I bought a $30 dollar belt only to pull it out after trying to adjust for three days. LOL.Then I bought a $50 belt and squeal is gone. Adjusted as follows - Tighten the belt as tight as you can get it. Start slowly loosen and adjust tension pulley till you can turn the power steering pulley buy hand with the belt. Then if it still squeals adjust tighter or looser till the noise is gone. It may start to squeal again after driving it few days because the belt stretches a little. Do not use belt dressing its not good for the belt. Just buy a good belt and not a cheapo. Belt tension gage is your best bet but that tool cost big $$ Ive herd that on some xj,s the belt is described as being loose! Not mine its fairly tight. So just have some patients adjusting and good luck. What your describing sounds like after the thing warms up it squeals witch tells me - if this makes sense - The belt is stiff when cold after its been turning for a while it heats up and gets softer, There fore a squeal would suggest loose belt. Tighten that baby up. If the belt squeals while cold then goes away after warm I would think to Loosen that baby up. Make sense. I think it does. But I'm no pro, just a backyardigan.

Just do not get a "gator-belt". The cross threads are supposed to make it quieter but if any of your pulleys are even ever so slightly out of wack the belt will jump off entirely where a normal one guides itself on the pulleys.

Thanks, I will replace the idler pulley asap, as for the compressor it works just fine and the belt is new... I will let you know how it goes!

Back