cdtoney

I hope someone out there has seen this happen or can give me some advice.
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 v6.
A couple of days ago, my wife tried to start the Jeep but the key would not turn. It is on level ground with not obstructions to the wheels. I checked the connecting linkage at the gear shifter. It is tight with no visible issues. The steering wheel is locked. I have tried rocking the vehicle, moving the steering wheel every way that I could. But the switch is still locked. I have tried both original keys and a spare.
I was going to take off the shrouds surrounding the steering column to see if something there was amiss, but I can't figure out what size screw is holding on the lower shroud. Some websites suggest that it is a Torx screw, but none of the ones I try work.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dale

There'a always the cheap fix try of spraying WD -40 (or equivalent) in the key slot and see if that frees it.

I think it's a t-25 torx. If it's not a torx, it would be a phillips head. Those are the only 2 types used on the steering column shrouds on Chryslers, Jeeps and Dodge. Try placing the key in the ignition and wiggling the key in the tumbler while gently turning the key, try not to put pressure on the locked steering wheel as this may increase the resistance on the tumbler. If this doesn't work, try tapping the head of the key gently while it's in the tumbler then try to turn it every so often. If all that fails, removal of the ignition tumbler will be nescessary.

Posted August 19, 2011.

I know the last response to the posting for this problem is old but here's my 2 cent's worth for anyone who needs current assistance with this same ongoing problem:

I was having the same trouble of intermittent sticking of the key in the lock on my 'O2 Liberty.

The first and easiest possible fix is to spray some lubricant into the keyslot. I used Tri-Flow (WD-40 is not really a lubricant although it does lubricate). If you're lucky it might work. It didn't work for me.

Then I replaced the actuator pin assembly using one I found on Ebay (also available from Amazon dot com)

I found a YouTube Instructional Video to use as a guide titled: "Wrangler, Liberty, PT Cruiser, Neon Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Repair"

Afterwards it worked better but the key still stuck sometimes. I talked to a certified Jeep mechanic who told me to try flipping the key over to see if the other side worked better. I didn't realize that only one side of the key worked at a time. I still have the two original factory keys. I tried both keys and it did work better sometimes, but it also still got hung up sometimes. The mechanic said that this suggested that the key had worn down to the point that it was no longer working properly. He said to try a new key and told me to first go get my car's key code from the dealership. I had to provide photo ID and registration for proof of ownership before they'd give it to me. Makes sense.

I went to the locksmith recommended by the dealer and he made a new key, but it still got hung up in the lock. He took the lock cylinder apart and filed down a couple of the little metal wafers that are inside that determine the position of the individual pins in the lock. He said a couple of them were hanging up, which prevented the lock from turning smoothly. It works great now.

That same YouTube video will also show you how to remove the lock cylinder in case you want to try that first without changing out the actuator pin assembly. Removing the lock cylinder is VERY easy once you have removed the decorative shroud.

The locksmith only charged me $20 to work on the cylinder, including the price of the key. I realize that's cheaper than normal but on average it shouldn't cost more than $50, and it's WAY less than paying for a complete new steering column!

I recommend that you first have the locksmith inspect the key cylinder for damage before you buy the actuator pin assembly. Fixing that might be all you need to do.

When you go to the locksmith have the decorative shroud already removed and figure out how to remove the cylinder yourself, so you save time and money.

I hope this has been helpful. I hope it works for you as it did for me. Good Luck!

I had a similar issue few years ago with my XJ.
There is a cable that connects the shifter to the switch so you will be able to take the key out only on parking.
sometimes it gets stuck and the key won't turn.
I released that cable and it solved the problem.
In order to do so, you will have to find it (remove the switch cover) and once you'll see it, there is a way to release it on the cable itself.
Saar.

Back