Cherokee Country running rough...

JamesTheScot

1994 Cherokee Country, 2WD, 4.0L L6, auto, 200K+ miles.

About a month ago I noticed it was having trouble pulling hills at interstate speeds. No check engine light or rough running. Just seemed to have an overall lack of acceleration and power but I only noticed when I got out on the interstate or really tried to accelerate hard. <--- May or may not be connected to current problem.

About a week ago I filled up the tank and the next morning it was idling rough. No check engine light or anything. Not idling higher than normal, no backfiring, just rough. Not real bad, but I could tell it was there. The first couple of days it smoothed out though as I drove in to work. My commute is only 15 minutes and haven't had it out on the interstate since that time a month ago. I suspected bad gas. But as the week wore on, it stopped smoothing out and would run rough all the time.

Filled up again 2 days ago and the rough running is still there and it definitely isn't smoothing out after warming up. Yesterday, it was running even rougher. Acceleration is slow and I'd be afraid to even attempt to pull a steep hill. It's running rough enough to cause some minor vibration in the cabin. Still no check engine light or anything. Oil level and trans levels are fine. Temp and oil pressure are fine.

On three or four occasions, I have thought I heard a paint pop. Twice I thought it came from the engine compartment and the most recent have come from the tail end. Not as loud backfire, but more like a, well, single pop. More than a cough but not quite a backfire, if that makes sense.

Had fuel pump replaced last fall. I will check plugs and plug wires this evening. But even if I find a faulty wire or plug, could those be sympomatic of a deeper/bigger/pricey problem? $40 isn't much for wires and plugs, but if the engine is crapping out, I'd just as soon scrap it than spend $40 on moot fixes.

Some internet research has indicated a vacuum leak could be the culprit. What could I expect in parts and labor (time) to have it corrected?

Thanks ahead of time.

with that amount of miles i suspect the catalitic converter. my old cherokee quit on me, cut it out, ran great after that.just a thought,good luck

Forgot to add...

Over the last week, on an occasion or two, I've thought that I could catch a very faint smell of fuel. It wasn't persistent or regular.

Could that be unburned fuel being pushed out the exhaust? Again, I haven't been hearing any exhaust end backfiring, at least not the loud "pow" variety.

As for the catalytic converter, how would I isolate that from a vacuum leak issue (assuming wires and plugs check out OK)? My exhaust system has always had an annoying rattle in it but there weren't performance issues associated.

sounds like my old cherokee,not useing all the gas because it can't breath. i never did hear any backfiring, just lost power,then died.itook mine to a muffler shop,they agreed with me after some test they did. so i took it home and cut it out. should be fouling plugs? just my thoughts.

Back