1997 JGCL wont start after manifold replaced!!

Vennessa

Recently my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee started running rough. The check engine light came on. We had the codes checked and it was an 02 sensor at fault. I had expected this due to a cracked exhaust manifold that would confuse the 02 sensors into mixing the fuel on the rich side to compensate. My fiancee tried JB Weld on the crack but it was too large so I ordered a new exhaust manifold. We put the new manifold on yesterday and after reassembling the engine, she (the car) won't start.( We had to remove the intake manifold, part of the serpintine belt, power steering pump, air box, and many assorted sensors were disconnected. These were all put back in place and reassembled before we started it. Replaced the air filter also) We checked for spark and all 6 cylinders are getting it. We are getting fuel to the fuel rail also. Really stumped as to why it wont start. (also the check engine light turned off) It will crank but not turn over. Any Ideas??

Try pumping the gas during cranking. I know it's FI and you shouldn't have to, but it's worked for me in the past.

Just finished working on the wifes van (efi). Took alot of cranking till it built up enough fuel pressure to run for more than a few seconds.

so here's a pic from the top of my intake. Is the circled item where the CPS attaches on top? please help me out!

Attachments

• cpspic.jpg
    cpspic.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 610
That looks like air intake temp. Cps should be plugged in a harness that comes off main harness.

Could be mass airflow sensor my toyota woudnt start after an engine swap until I remembered to plug it in if the computer desent register any air it won't give the engine any fuel

so crawled under the car couldnt see anything loose from the bell housing. felt around up top and couldnt find anything. the circled item is still a mystery because i cant find anything loose that would fit it either. my chilton guide is useless with diagrams for my truck..really close to doing the "beat it til it works approach! really bummed, i wanted to turn her over and hear what she sounds like with the new exhaust manifold.

So Ive hit a brick wall. I've attached some photos. The third one is the sensor from the bell housing, but on the passenger side of the engine. any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0125 (1).jpg
    IMAG0125 (1).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 212
  • IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
So I replaced the CKS (crankshaft sensor) it wasn't that. She still wont start and now my battery is dead. No Check Engine Light so I can't check for codes..I have no idea. Please Help!!!

Make sure none of the wires got pinched between the manifold and the cylinder head. Check the 02 sensor connectors for proper connections. Verify that they are not plugged in the opposite sensor. Re-check the map, iac, tps, iat, ect sensors connections.

im getting a multi-meter in an hour to test all the sensors, I hope thats it. I'm over this "mystery issue"

Back