steering geometry

If the gearbox is really worn tightening then backing off 1/4 wont be enough. It will bind when turning tight. If this happens just replace it. I did mine. 6 hours garage work and $75 junk yard gearbox.

It shouldn't bind if worm gear is set up proper. I don't like wrecker parts like that. I usually bite the bullet and spend a couple hun and by new. That way its good for the rest of the life and can forget about it.

Cool. I wanna do a high steer I'm sick of bending mine lol.

I'm just going to put the steering gear off the Durango.. not sure how I'm going to do a high steer

That's on the list to... just got a big list lol

tjlboise said:
Okay then so what's this worm gear reload thing you're talking about? Is that something I could do? Would it be in a haynes or Chilton?

Make sure your gear box is completly centered. With steering wheel straight ahead. Any adjustments must be made at over center.

Jester32 said:
It shouldn't bind if worm gear is set up proper. I don't like wrecker parts like that. I usually bite the bullet and spend a couple hun and by new. That way its good for the rest of the life and can forget about it.

I usually don't care for junk parts but a new steering box is $600 for just the housing no gears included. I did find "refurbished" for $175 or so but I would rather trust a part made in the factory with 70k miles on it than trust some foreigner working in a sweat shop rebuilding it.

Back