Steering box

97WhiteDragon

My mechanic says the spectre shaft is doneski's in the box. I priced a box at napa, around 300.. But i need a core also? Which is apparently another 250. This core, can i use it from the box i have? I drive my jeep daily and its not too bad, only when turning i notice it. But with that said, when im on the highway doing 90-110, the steering wheel shakes a decent amount. Could this also be Because of the steering box? If not im assuming its tire balance, i just had everything else looked at and the only thing wrong was brakes need replacing, and the steering box.

the tire balance would make the whole thing shake, not just the steering wheel. if your rotors were warped your steering wheel would shake when you slowed down but thats it. as for the core, its just a charge for the steering box you already have. you pay the core charge and when you put in the new one, you take the old one and usually get your core charge back.

Well see thats the thing, to me it feels like the vehicle shakes, but ive asked others in the jeep and they always say "ah maybe a bit but barely" but.. To me, i notice it for sure. As for the box, the local shop told me they can grab me one for around 200, and its rebuilt/refurbished or whatever with bearings instead of bushings, which to me would last much longer. But bear with me, i am totally not used to solid axles, steering components and Jeeps in general lol. Just dont want to waste my money, but i want parts to last as long as possible.

Check out rockauto.com. They sell the box new for $150.

Alright well, found the culprit.. Need new tires. I knew i needed them, but didnt realize i have 2 bubbles on the inside in the front right, and 1 in the rear right. Replaced brakes today, and looked at some other stuff.. And aside from needing a steering box, transmission flush and new tires, its all good. Hopefully..

why do (think) you need a steering box?
If in the Chicago area I can tell you of a rebuilder. Just got one there for my son's Ramcharger yesterday.

Underneath my mechanic and I Were inspecting everything, and the shaft/bar coming from the box underneath is loose, like we can move it. It has play in it and supposed to be tight. The local shop (my mechanic) said the spector shaft in the box is weak/broken, because the bushings have worn out. Im having a good amount of little issues with this damn jeep, now my engine seems to be ticking when i start it. Not bad, but enough anyways.. Im crazy about every little sound, id like everything to sound and work perfect.

If your crazy about " every little sound " You are in for a visit to the nut house. Every jeep thats been used as a jeep will make noise.

"what" rod/bar? there are a few under there; the most common "troublemaker" has nothing to do with the steering box that would be the track bar. then we move onto tie rods, steering box coupler and so on. I have info on a rebuilder in Chicago if you need it; I just was there last friday and got one from him for my son's ramcharger. I have gotten a few from this place before. 97 ram 1500 4WD, 80 plymouth volare
89 Diplomat and now the Ramcharger that pop right off the top of my head.

If i knew the name, id tell you lol.. Im teaching myself mechanics as i go. Its the only bar connected to the bottom of the steering box. Either way, i can move that bar back and forth by grabbing it and moving to left and right, and its moving from inside the box. As far as i know, thats supposed to be tight, no play at all.

According to my haynes book, its a drag-link bar, and an adjuster. Hooks up to the steering box, and where it connects is where there is play. My question was, is there a way to fix that or do i just need to replace the entire box? Ive been told by the shop i need a new box, but.. They like to say things so they make money, when its not exactly needed.

throw that haynes book in teh garbage. thats about what its worth; is this piece that moves about 8-10" long and thick heavy cast iron? That is the pitman arm. If it moves side to side, then yeah the box is shot; it will also probably be coated in leaked out PS fluid and road grease; otherwise you are talking about part of teh steering linkage which don't come with a new box (the pitman arm dont either, it is splined to the gearbox shaft and takes a special puller to remove)
not all that much $$ to buy one. (the tool)

Damnit man i just bought the book, haha. Its actually helped Me so i dunno why its garbage, but anyways. This bar was covered in PS, so im guessing it is what your talking about. Even the local shop said that box is shot, and i know these mechanics a bit, so i dont think they're just bullshitting me. Ive put PS in it and it hasnt leaked since, but i do notice play in the wheel, and just overall driving experience seems to be altered because of it. Not to mention i need new tires (front right has 2 bubbles in it, and it pulls to the right, not big time but still). Overall, my jeep needs some work! But, she runs good, gives decent power, and im happy with my purchase. Im just still up and down whether I want to lift it and make a decent rig out of it.

Back