New 1996.Grand Cherokee Limited owner with lots of qustions

zaczg

Hi all,

few minutes ago I registerd on this forum, and few hours ago I was a miata driver and now I am Jeep driver.

1. So lets start, first, is there a user manual for Jeep Grand Cheroke Limited 5.2L (1996.) which I can download?

2. What are service intervals?

3.What is the bigest problem with this car? engine problems? transmition? axels?

4. What else do I need to know about this car? :)

Thank you!

This will be everyday car nothing serious in off-road.

Sorry for bad english, I am from Croatia :)

Biggest issue is the transmission i would say. They can go out, but im not saying it will. The 5.2 has a lot of power and won't last as long as a 4.0, but its still decent. The service intervals are pretty standard like any car. Post some pictures of it and lets see what you upgraded to

Hi, thanks for the tip, I would post some pics, but I need to get 5 posts or greater :) so I will post it soon :)

extra-medium said:
Biggest issue is the transmission i would say. They can go out, but im not saying it will. The 5.2 has a lot of power and won't last as long as a 4.0, but its still decent. The service intervals are pretty standard like any car. Post some pictures of it and lets see what you upgraded to

Not to say you are wrong. I have heard of one tyranny in a 95 going out at 175000 but I now have 260000 on my 5.2l and my tyranny is still super smooth.
A brief history of the 5.2l aka 318ci.
It was originally used around 1960 (just a guess) in industrial purposes as when geared low it will pull anything. It worked so well it was put into civilian vehicles and was put into many many different things but mostly Dodge work type trucks like the ram and power wagon.
Before I discovered Jeep I had both a 1982 and a 1976 Dodge both with the 318. First with a manual and second with a auto. Both very strong even for old. The 1976 only died due to a leaky radiator at 460000 miles.
In my personal experience the 318 will outlast and out perform the 4.0 with the drawback of weight and gas mileage.
Anyway great choice on the zj. I have had mine almost 8 years and I still get excited driving it like the day I bought it.

im not saying its a bad motor, i had a durango with the 5.2. Had plenty of power on and off road, but just from a couple other people i know that have had jeeps with it, they weren't as reliable as the 4.0. I guess its just a matter of preference, i would prefer the 4.0 in a jeep but he 5.2 in a ram or dakota or durango. there is a guy i work with that had a 96 grand cherokee with the 5.2 and about 275,000 miles and it was the biggest piece of junk ever. Just one of those things that it depends on how you take care of it and treat it.

Thank you guys :)

Yesterday got my A/C filled up, now its cold inside :)

Question, where can I find owners manual for this model? Download somewhere? :)

Thank you!

Back