[HELP] Grand Cherokee 1996. Limited - AC filter

zaczg

Hi guys,

me again :), new owner with lots of questions.

I would like to clean filter for ventilation, I dont know how do you say it on english but air filter not for engine but for ac, because when I start my ventilation it smells really bad.

So , where is that filter so I can find him?

thank you :)

There's no cabin air filter on the 96GC's unfortunately. That filter was not an option until in the late 05 models. If your experiencing a musty odor , chances are, the evaporator in the HVAC housing has mildew due to a restricted drain. On the passenger side, lean down on the floor board and remove the floor mat. Locate a round plastic housing that's part of the HVAC unit in the lowest spot. This should go through the firewall but not visible from the outside since it exits through the unibody frame. Drill a 3/8 inch hole until you get through the plastic. Use a compressed air to blow through the hole and push whatever restrictions there is on this drain outside. Apply a small piece of tape over the hole when your done.
There are several mildew treatments you can buy from a local parts store to apply to the evaporator and slowly get rid of the smell. The applications vary. Some are applied through the recirculation vent and some through the blower motor mounting hole.

No filter at all? Great, I just bought spray to clean filter or system, like you said treatments :) LOL .

Ok I will try to find evaporator in HVAC hosuing.

How the evaporator look like?

This is the first car that I have with A/C, so I dont know the system :)

Thank you!

The evaporator is much like a heater core but thicker and is made out of aluminum that's encapsulated by the HVAC housing. On the bottom of the evaporator is a styro foam tray that helps insulate the evaporator however, it also traps dirt and retains moisture in between. If the spray you bought doesn't require dash removal, it's likely applied thru the recirculate intake vent on the passenger side behind the glove box area.

Thank you, I now understand little more :)

This spray doesnt require dash removal, so where exactly is recirculate intake vent on the passenger side behind the glove box area?

In manual, I must add this spray when my AC is running.

Back