Jeep died today :(

zaczg

Hi all,

well I was (and big WAS) new "happy" owner of Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 from 1996. until today. Just a little history, I owned a 1986. Toyota Corolla Ae86 GTI, then a Mitsubishi Starion 2.6T and Mazda MX-5 1.8 (2001.), non of these cars ever failed on the road, until I bought Jeep .

I had big confidence in US Jeep with V8 engine, but failed me .

So, know I dont know what went wrong, it was very hot day, about 30C, and I drove on one hill (on the road not off road) with my friends. And it stalls, with big noise and loses power quickly.

I noticed that oil preasurre gauge is showing low preassure, and engine bay start to smell very bad.
Then it showed 120C degree engine tempearture.

When I put it to cold down, after 2 hours, it started and worked very well on idle. When I put it on D to start driving, whole hell go lose, and noise whas cranky and loud,then it shut down.

I towed car home, and dont have idea what is wrong.

anyone had this simptoms? (I hope not).

Thank you!

Check your oil for water in it, it'll look kinda milky. If that's the case you could have overheated it to the point it blew a head gasket or worse yet cracked a head. Also check your antifreeze as it could have gotten too low.

you were having transmission problems a little while ago, was there any problem with that or was it all in the engine? I would check the oil to see if its milky. It can be expensive to fix head gaskets if you take the car to a shop, but if you do it yourself it will save a lot of money.

If you had some transmission work done there is a possibility that the flex plate is broke between the motor and transmission. Or the bolts could have come out also. This is just a long range guess. I haven't tried to convert the C degrees to F degrees to tell how hot the motor was.

Hi all,

well I was (and big WAS) new "happy" owner of Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 from 1996. until today. Just a little history, I owned a 1986. Toyota Corolla Ae86 GTI, then a Mitsubishi Starion 2.6T and Mazda MX-5 1.8 (2001.), non of these cars ever failed on the road, until I bought Jeep .

I had big confidence in US Jeep with V8 engine, but failed me .

So, know I dont know what went wrong, it was very hot day, about 30C, and I drove on one hill (on the road not off road) with my friends. And it stalls, with big noise and loses power quickly.

I noticed that oil preasurre gauge is showing low preassure, and engine bay start to smell very bad.
Then it showed 120C degree engine tempearture.

When I put it to cold down, after 2 hours, it started and worked very well on idle. When I put it on D to start driving, whole hell go lose, and noise whas cranky and loud,then it shut down.

I towed car home, and dont have idea what is wrong.

anyone had this simptoms? (I hope not).

Thank you!

If you had some transmission work done there is a possibility that the flex plate is broke between the motor and transmission. Or the bolts could have come out also. This is just a long range guess. I haven't tried to convert the C degrees to F degrees to tell how hot the motor was.

Water boils at 100 C so it was VERY Hot - over 250 degrees

the temperature was roughly 248*f, the outside temp was 86*f.

Also 30* c warm, but many places here in the United States get up to 32-40* c. I think maybe the thermostat went out so there was no coolant circulating out of your motor. When your engine stopped did you notice kind of a sweet smell? If you did, you will need new head gaskets. If not, i would still check the oil like said, and you still might need to fix that. Let us know what you find and whats going on and maybe we can help.

Hi all,

thanks all for suggestions and help.

Well, when car cooled down, it worked good on idle. There was no mixure of oil and water (i checked).

Some of the guys thinks its a problem in diferential.

I think for I saw on gauges, that oil pump died, oil preassure droped and engine overheated.

But that metal noise when I put in D, maybe something in transmission.

I hope my mechanic will soon be here so, we will together take a look.

Problem is that here in Croatia there is not a lot of people with V8 experience, and also the problem with parts.

So, if its not a problem, can you give me some parts sellers for Jeep that would ship to Croatia, just to have them if I need something.

Thank you all!

shipping will cost a lot, but you could contact a jeep dealership or search for parts online.

Hi guys, this is the reason of death of my Jeep:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Luckly no damage was done to engine or transmission.

So I will order a new one from Rock parts and also chage the oils and engine gasket.

After all, V8 is a very strong engine.

Thank you all for helping me :)

Back