96 Grand Cherokee transmission troubles!!!

seth1996grand40

So I am the very proud owner of a 96 jeep grand Cherokee limited 4.0. And the trans has gone kaput on me. I currently have about 230000 miles. I noticed a small leak in my transmission cooler and alsois leaking transmission fluid from.the bell housing also makes a.whining noise when in any gear except for park. It is the 4wd part time/N/4wd lo options for my 4 wheel shifter. I have many options for.transmissions since my guys over at the u pull it are giving me a killer hook up on a new trans what trans should I look into? My girlfriends 97 gc has 2wd/4pt/4hi/N/4lo options and I.would like to go with that transmission if possible but would an older one work out of say a 90 Cherokee? I know doing that would require some new wiring and that years matching tcm. Will one out of a 90 even bolt up to my motor? Any suggestions would be much apreciated. Thank you.

Not sure about a Grand but if you want the selec-trac tansfer case from an older one you'll probably have to rewire some stuff. I didn't on mine when I did the swap but mines a lot older and simpler lol but as far as bolting up that shouldn't be a problem with the 4 liter as far as I know

the trans between your's and your girl friends isn't much different, but the transfer case is the major difference. I have the same transfer case with the 2wd option, it is the NP 242. I am not sure if the transmissions will bolt up and how much would have to be changed, i would spend a little more and get a refurbed transmission so you can get another 200,000 miles out of it.

The trans I was looking at says only has 40k on it so I'm sure I will get more then plenty of life out of it... I am getting it with the tc I want for only 125 so its worth doing the work again if I have to in a few years for that kind of deal.

For anyone who wants to know about it I will be doing the swap / conversion this weekend will update with the results.

Well I.have decided against the trans out of a 90 and.going with one I located at a different wrecking yard and its a 96 same awd but my 96 has elctronic speedometer and tachometer and the one from the 90 is gear driven so I would have no gauges. And the shift linkage is way way different and the cranckshaft position sensor is different so I would have to replace my flywheel with the one from the 90 and.request the older sensor in and pray the computer reads it. And in the way of pics I have none. I barely fit under this truck as it is with the running boards ther is no room for a camera.lol.

i think thats a better choice. i had a thought that the shift linkages would be different, but the electronics didn't even come to mind. good luck with the swap

Back