1997 zj

JVjeeper

I'm preparing to buy a 97 zj with 130K miles very nice interior but it has a leaky rear seal and transfer case. How easy is it to fix these 2 things?

What rear seal? Diff over? pinion gear? Transfer can be cracked open and scrape off the old RTV and reapply new. Depending on what rear seal it is might just be more of the same.

Last edited:
Bought the jeep. The rear main seal behind the engine. It passed smog but the ABS light is on and it's not clicking at all when the key is in the on position. What is the first thing I should check?

It passed smog but the ABS light is on and it's not clicking at all when the key is in the on position.

Do you mean that it won't start? You mentioned that it passed emissions, so I'd guess it ran at one point.

I'd take it to the local parts store and ask them to pull any codes off of it. That may tell you why the ABS light is on.

It runs very strong but I have to get a brake and light inspection which it will fail if the ABS light is on.
Thanks, I'll try to get the codes pulled.

My brake light was on when I got my jeep but it went off on it's own. I would start by checking the fluid level and then see what codes it's throwing

Back