92 cherokee started for a few seconds, dies.Now engine just clicks.

davidclev

My 1992 Jeep Cherokee was running fine, then one night I get in drive for like 10 seconds and it shut off. When trying to start immediately after the engine would turn but not start. Hours later it would start and run for a few seconds then die. After that happened for awhile now the engine wont even turn and it just makes the click click click sound when trying to turn the key. I know its not the battery or spark plugs. I am getting tapped out for answers. I have a few ideas but dont want to get 5 different unneeded parts.

see if jumping it works even though you said its not the battery. if nothing, get your alternator tested, and then maybe check the starter to see if its getting enough power

see if jumping it works even though you said its not the battery. if nothing, get your alternator tested, and then maybe check the starter to see if its getting enough power

I installed a new alternator about 2 months ago so I know it isn't that. I doubt it's a starter issue as it would turn on for a few seconds. I am thinking maybe it is a sensor issue(which one I am not sure) and in the process or starting it repeatedly maybe I burned out the solonoid also....but these are just my speculations.

sometimes you can get a bad alternator out of the box. also since it started but cut out, make sure your timing is right. i am guessing it will be either the starter or alternator, but im not a mechanic so take it with a grain of salt lol

sometimes you can get a bad alternator out of the box. also since it started but cut out, make sure your timing is right. i am guessing it will be either the starter or alternator, but im not a mechanic so take it with a grain of salt lol

Yeah, I actually just drained the battery during my attempts to start so after a charge it would turn over but I couldn't get any fire. I replaced the coil and yet still the same problem. So I dont know. I'm thinking it is may be something electrical but I'm not sure.

Replace TPS had the same problem. It completely screw up every inch of the jeep. Fuel injected or carborated?

Replace TPS had the same problem. It completely screw up every inch of the jeep. Fuel injected or carborated?

I replaced the CPS and that wasnt the problem. It has a carburetor. When I pour a little bit of fuel down the throttle case it starts to turn over then dies off so I am inclined to believe it is a fuel pump problem. I havent checked the TPS though, is there a way to test that with the volt meter without replacing it to check it?

If it has a carb it wont have CPs or tps. 92 should be fuel injected

is there a chance it could be a throttle body injection, or were they a different set-up

Yeah it is throttle body injection. Also when I take a rubber mallet and give the tank and fuel filter a little beating then turn the key it starts for a couple seconds then dies....I'm assuming I have a fuel pump problem

I'm almost positive there's a TPS , yes you can check the voltage meter just by going through the TPS harness wires

Try spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it starts that way also. If it does I would check voltages and make sure your fuel filter isn't clogged, and make sure you are getting the right psi from your fuel pump.

Sent from my Exhibit using Jeepz

Back