seized caliper bolt

brooksmb

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee. I have the caliper off, but the bracket that surrounds the rotor is stuck. The two 18 mm bolts on the back are seized. I've broke one cheap socket already. I don't want to use a torch because of all the tubing around. I have sprayed it with PB blaster. Just looking to see if anyone has any ideas. I really don't want to have to drill it out.

Do you mean that the caliper bolts are frozen:

boot1.jpg

Or are you referring to some other bolts? Post some photos if you can.

Do you mean that the caliper bolts are frozen:

View attachment 9950

Or are you referring to some other bolts? Post some photos if you can.

No, I'm referring to the bolts that hold the bracket that the caliper screws into. I have the caliper off and the bolts that slide are fine, but the bracket bolts are seized.

I have managed to get the two bolts out on the drivers side by heating them with a torch and PB blaster.

I plan on trying the same thing on the passenger side, but I have stripped my ratchet and have to get a new one first. Any ideas you have on getting them free would be great. My biggest worry is stripping them.

Just use breaker bar, get some leverage and it's bound to come off one way or another and if it breaks taps are made for a reason

Just use breaker bar, get some leverage and it's bound to come off one way or another and if it breaks taps are made for a reason

+1 use a breaker bar and even a cheater bar if necessary, also use an impact socket and it won't crack. Break it loose spray it and work it back and forth. Sometimes there's just heavy amounts of loctite on them.

Back