1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Ltd 5.9 questions

Swamper_Rider

Ok my buddy has a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.9 engine in it. His transmission is going out and I'm wondering if a Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 engine was the same as the jeep engine? And would the dodge ram transmission and transfer case work on the jeep? (he has the all wheel drive transfer case and wants to be able to unlock his to where its 2 wheel drive)...The dodge is mine and is a 1997. It has a good working trans and transfer case (im swapping my 1500 over to a diesel and wanted to help him out with my trans and transfer case if they would work).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenneth

What kind of transfer case does the ram have? If it is a new process it might work, but I do not know for sure. The 2wd transfer case for the grand cherokee was the NP-242. I am not sure about the trans, the shift linkages are different since the ram is a column shift, and the grand cherokee is a console shift.

I believe the transfer case is a nv231, but im not positive. And is there anyway to change the transmission linkage from the column shift to the jeep console shift?

i'm sure it isn't that hard, a buddy of mine did it on his 85 monte carlo ss. the 231 transfer case came in the cherokees, not sure if it came in the grand cherokee, but i'm sure it would fit just fine. the transmission is the only thing i am not sure of. I just checked out wikipedia and it says what transmission and transfer case came in the 5.9 grand cherokees.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it looks like the transmission in the 5.9 grand cherokee was the 46re, and in the ram it was either a 42rh or 46rh. I can't tell you the difference of them, but i assume it isn't that big of a difference.

I just looked on it and it said that "the A518/46RH-RE for more heavy duty applications found behind the 5.2 L and 5.9 L V8 engines"...im gonna have to check mine out and see if they have any writing on it to tell what trans I have, but I do think I have the 46RE. Just wouldn't know how to go about changing the shifting linkages on them. Im sure it wont be to hard if theres a way to do it.

Thanks for the quick responses, thought it would be days before someone would be able to help me. I appreciate it very much.

No problem. The difference between the h and e transmissions is the h is hydroulic and the e is ekectronic

Sent from my Exhibit using Jeepz

We changed his filter and trans fluid today and it still dont shift so im thinking into swapping my transmission and transfer case into his jeep. I just hope it works out like i plan. Same transmissions just different kind of linkages so will have to figure that out and hopefully with my transfer case it doesnt mess with the length of driveshaft and stuff if my transfer case is longer or something.

Before all that I would see if you could make sure the shift solenoids are not going out.

Sent from my Exhibit using Jeepz

Back