Mechanic in a Can

98Chero

I have been doing mechanics on vehicles and other small engines for over 35 years and I know that the best way to repair something is to replace the broken part with a new one, but there is sometimes when I use a "Mechanic in a Can " aka Bars Leak to fix minor radiator and freeze plug leaks, I have also used Trans-X to restore a few automatic transmissions. In both cases the these Mechanic in a Can patches/repairs have lasted a long time and possibly are permanent. Do any of you members have a Mechanic in a Can that you would recommend that has worked for you in the past ?

Curious Mike

I've had good results from Lucas power steering stop leak. It's expensive, compared to the other brands but I've used it on two seperate vehicles and it worked both times.

When dealing with rusted bolts and nuts the first tool I use is WD-40

great recommendation for badly rusted nuts and bolts: loctite freeze and release. it comes out super cold, which flash freezes and cracks the rust, and the new cracks draw fluid in by rapid capillary action, getting your penetrant right to the source of the seizure fast.

i have a customer that swears by it.

I put the stop oil leak stuff in my motor and it think it made my oil leaks worse.

I have a long list of things in a Can that didnt work, like liquid glass.. a friend of mine swore that it was the Cats Meow because it fixed a blown head gasket on a forklift engine. I even read and followed the directions lol and it did not work for me.

Seafoam & PB Blaster

Most stuff out there is "snake oil", like all the fuel injection cleaners. If they are that good don't you think the gas companies would put them in their fuel? Not saying they are all bad (Seafoam & Techron), but most bottle 'o fixit stuff is good for making the manufacturer rich.

+1. it's a lot cheaper to just buy good gas! but yeah, the seafoam, when you need something like that, is great. and the seafoam throttle body cleaner is nothing short of awesome, at least the one time i've ever needed to use it. still have the other half a can in the garage.

Aerokroil is the best penitrating oil. I use it at work alot with seized nuts, bolts, shafts,etc. It's is kinda pricey but it's one of those things where I'd give a little more $$ to make the job easier. It's also good on guns.

I've heard Kroil is good, but never used it. I still have tons of stuff left from when I worked at Autozone.

As a former Autozoner..lol there is several things I carry as mechanic in the can sort of thing. Along with a 2 part plastic epoxy and mesh rad repair kit is a bottle of bars, when your 20 miles into a trail and blow one you will either have the things there to fix it or have a nice 20 mile hike.

But the best mechanic in the roll is duct tape, never leave home without it.
P.S. that little pep-cock thingy on the lower part of your radiator, its 3$ at napa, sold my spare one year on the trail for 10$ (trail rates). a great thing to carry.

Back