Push starter relay to get started.

twm3000

I have to turn the key on and get under the hood and push a broken starter relay to get my Cherokee to start. I have tried a new starter relay and that doesn't work. I have also had a neutral switch replaced. I have been told that it is probably wiring somewhere between the key and the relay. I have also been having trouble with my battery gauge fluctuating. When I am driving it shows the battery fully charged but when I am stopped at a stop sign it drops down into the red. It also drops when I turn on the a/c or the heat. I don't know if these two problems are related. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• starterrelay.jpg
    starterrelay.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 6,942

Oh boy! Sounds like a. COUPLE of Electrical Issues going on with this JEEP! Problem # 1 - - The Starting Issue. Problem #2 - - The Battery gauge Fluctuating (Charging) Hmmmm - - Let' start with the Starting Issue - - You DID replace the Starter Relay - But that DID NOT. Fix the problem? Correct? This could be a wiring Issue - BUT- It could also be an. - - Intermittent BAD connection! Start at the Starter RELAY SOCKET! Pull starer relay - - INSPECT SOCKET carefully - - Check for - LOOSE or Corroded contacts!! Contacts may need to be cleaned and\OR Tightened - - This is to ENSURE a GOOD Electrical Connection! Also-- You may want to Check new starter relay with a DVM -- Just to Verify it is working OK. This TYPE of problem - we need to check ALL the Possibilities! To Check-out starter circuit wiring - you need a HElPER -- They sit in the JEEP. - - While you - Pull Starter Relay - - With a DVM (multimeter) you VERIFY the 12V signal is getting to the correct PIN of the Relay socket - - (some RELAYS on your Jeep need a 12V signal to work - - SOME relays NEED a GROUND) Good to remember that!! Wht YEAR. JEEP and what Engine? To check Wiring Diagram! On the Battery Voltage Issue - Start with the. Basics - Verify BatterY OK -- Verify batter connections CLEAN and tight! Verify. CHARGING VOLTAGE. OUT of. Alternator is within SPECS - - 14 to 14.5 Volts - - Check with a. DC. Voltmeter! Is it Steady ? Within specs? Could be - - Alternator or Voltage Regulator - - - - That should do it - You did say you Replaced the - Neutral. Safety. Switch? Right? Should be unrelated issue. Good Luck! Keep us Posted. JB

Update: One more thing--- Is your JEEP equipped with an AUTOMATIC Trans?? This can be IMPORTANT in the event your Park\Neutral Switch gives you a Problem! You stated that it HAD been replaced - So I. Discounted this possibility! If you have an --- Automatic. -- and if the Neu.\Park. Switch does not give you a. GROUND to your Starter Relay. -- Jeep will NOT start. THUS: One Terminal on your Starter Relay should always be HOT (12V). One Terminal. Should ONLY be hot (12V) when you CRANK the Motor(Solenoid wire to starter). One terminal will be HOT only when your IGNITION Switch is in the START position (12V signal to starter relay COIL). One terminal on Starter relay will be. GROUNDED. Only when Automatic Trans is in either: Park or Neutral! (On Manual Trans - this is always grounded) That is the way it is-- JB. There should be 5 terminals on starter relay - one terminal NOT used_- By the way - your picture showed the RELAY with NO cover?

@ jimbob2001 - Thanks for all the advice. Yes I did put a new starter relay in and it actually started for about a week and then wouldn't again. I had to put the old starter relay back in because it was missing the cover and easy to use to push start. Yes my Jeep is an automatic. I will do some checking on all the wiring. I sure appreciate all the help and advice.

Re: neutral safety switch

key won't start my 92 cherokee, aw4 transmission.

wiggled gear shift helped some. then would not start at all

been told problem is neutral safety switch

MY question is WHERE IS THE NSS AND HOW DO I IDENTIFY IT?

Oh boy! Sounds like a. COUPLE of Electrical Issues going on with this JEEP! Problem # 1 - - The Starting Issue. Problem #2 - - The Battery gauge Fluctuating (Charging) Hmmmm - - Let' start with the Starting Issue - - You DID replace the Starter Relay - But that DID NOT. Fix the problem? Correct? This could be a wiring Issue - BUT- It could also be an. - - Intermittent BAD connection! Start at the Starter RELAY SOCKET! Pull starer relay - - INSPECT SOCKET carefully - - Check for - LOOSE or Corroded contacts!! Contacts may need to be cleaned and\OR Tightened - - This is to ENSURE a GOOD Electrical Connection! Also-- You may want to Check new starter relay with a DVM -- Just to Verify it is working OK. This TYPE of problem - we need to check ALL the Possibilities! To Check-out starter circuit wiring - you need a HElPER -- They sit in the JEEP. - - While you - Pull Starter Relay - - With a DVM (multimeter) you VERIFY the 12V signal is getting to the correct PIN of the Relay socket - - (some RELAYS on your Jeep need a 12V signal to work - - SOME relays NEED a GROUND) Good to remember that!! Wht YEAR. JEEP and what Engine? To check Wiring Diagram! On the Battery Voltage Issue - Start with the. Basics - Verify BatterY OK -- Verify batter connections CLEAN and tight! Verify. CHARGING VOLTAGE. OUT of. Alternator is within SPECS - - 14 to 14.5 Volts - - Check with a. DC. Voltmeter! Is it Steady ? Within specs? Could be - - Alternator or Voltage Regulator - - - - That should do it - You did say you Replaced the - Neutral. Safety. Switch? Right? Should be unrelated issue. Good Luck! Keep us Posted. JB

Did you say --- You were told the Problem could be the : Neutral Safety Switch? (NSS) Does your Jeep have an - AUTOMATIC? Neutral safety Switch is ONLY installed on Jeeps with AUTOMATIC TRANS. It is LOCATED on the PASSENGER side of the AUTO TRANS. There will be Some wires going to it!! It is made of a Bakelite material-- and is VERY fragile. NSS also controls your BACK-UP lights. Does Jeep START in either-- PARK or NEUTRAL?? -- JB

The NSS was the first thing that I changed out because several people said that might be it. It didn't help me out at all.

UPDATE: I had been having trouble with my battery gauge moving up and down into the red like crazy as I would drive and stop. I had just put in a new alternator but apparently it was bad. I took it out and had it tested. It failed. So put a new one in and my charge is good. I also went and got a new starter relay. I had also tried a new one of those before and it did not work. I picked up the latest one at O'Reillys and it looks totally different than the one the Dodge place gave me. I don't think the guy behind the counter at the Dodge place knew what he was doing. As of now the Jeep is turning over fine and running at a good charge.

That. Sounds GOOD! Do you FEEL that both Problems are now FIXED? You probably should VERIFY (with VOLTMETER) that your CHARGING Voltage Is Between: 13.8 and 14.2 Volts when Jeep is Running!! Does JEEP start EACH time -- WITH OUT pushing on Starter Relay?? Also -- VERIFY Battery Terminal Connections -- ARE CLEAN and TIGHT. Keep us Posted. - JB

Thanks for your help. I was getting assistance for my "bil" and he was delighted to learn exactly where to look for the switch. He found it, took it apart today and discovered that the contacts were stuck---factory applied grease had dried up. He applied fresh grease, re-assembled it and eureks the Jeep started on first try---and every time thereafter.
Appreciate your clear directions and prompt response.

bb

@bbrewer - Your ride still running good? So far so good on starting problem. Now on to new projects with it...lol

Glad to hear you got your Starting Problem all sorted out ! On to the next project ------ JB

Just to recap--- TWM3000. --- The NEW Starter Relay and the New Alternator did the Trick!? It. Appears your Starting Issues --- are a Thing of the Past! ---- JB

On the subject of starters, anyone out there familiar with mean green. If I go with the stroke been considering one for the 4.0

Back