Heater issue

B192734

So I have a non-working heater right now. Or at least the blower part of it. Everything still heats up like normal, but I have no fan action. Once in a while it will just randomly kick on and blow for a couple minutes, then shuts back off. Any thoughts on this? Since it's now essentially winter...it's a bit cold...

What year and model of Jeep?

You can add that info to your profile as well, then it will show up in the header of every post.

Doing a bit of research here, and it looks like it may just be the blower motor resistor. Anyone have any experience in changing these? I may order one and toss it in and see what happens...

I believe the blower Motor Resistor is FOR the Lower speeds on your FAN. Do ANY of the SPEEDS on your Fan work?? First place to check would be the FUSE for the Blower Fan -- should be in - PDC. (Pwr Dist Center) Although, it MIGHT be inside? Anyway check that first-- If FUSE is - check Blower motor resistor. You might need a DVM (multimeter) to Check this problem out. Aides in the Troubleshooting Process! JB

I will check the fuses, but none of the speeds work. If they do come on it's totally random, and it could be any of the speeds. It doesn't matter what speed I have it set on. 98% of the time there is nothing, and then once in a long while it'll suddenly blow for a few seconds, then shut back off. Then it's a long time until it does it again.

Well after considering the OPTIONS --- We NEED to ask the : $69,000 dollar question: Does YOUR JEEP have the: Automatic Temp. Control? (Climate control) - OR do you have the MANUAL Temp. Control? If it is Option # 1 (Auto Temp Cntrl) - You COULD have a BAD Blower Module! I have heard there is a Problem with the Power Wire on the PCB! Heats up and becomes- INTERMITTENT! Chrysler sells a: REPAIR KIT! I believe the Module is located on the firewall - Near Glove Box. Option # 2 - Manual Temp Control--- A. Fan Switch B. The Fan Itself C. Intermittent wiring\Connection! I. Would think that this covers most of the possibilities. What we have here is an: Intermittent OPEN --- No Current Flow at all. Most likely BAD COMPONENT--- Good luck! JB

Resistor is less than $20 thru Summit Racing or Rock Auto. Search Dorman part #973-021

Last edited:
Ok, so now I know how to tear the dash apart to get to the resistor, but realized that after I got in there I had no real idea of how to tell if the resistor had gone bad or not. That's what I call planning ahead. Getting that kick plate off was a real pain in the ...!

Is there any way to know if it's bad just with a visual inspection?

I do not have automatic climate control. I have the 3 knobs in the center of the console. It had been randomly coming on, since I have the fan turned on high just in case it comes on (it's a bit cold here at the moment...), and now it seems to just be off permanently. I may try ordering the resistor and changing it out just to see what happens. Maybe get lucky. I was kind of hoping it was just a connection that got bounce loose while out driving around, but it doesn't look like it.

If it's not the resistor, then I suppose that I'll be off onto the next idea.

So, I got the resistor in the mail, and put it in. That was easy. Did a little maintenance as well. Turned everything on, started the jeep up, and....Nothing. Heater didn't come on. So I figured it must be the blower motor needing to be replaced. Then on my way to work this morning, in 30 degree weather bundled up like I lived in the Great White North, half way through my drive the blower kicked on and pumped out high speed hot air. At first it was nice because I was frozen, but then under all the layers I sweated it out all the way to work because I was afraid to touch it.

Thoughts? Could it just be a bad connection somewhere, because it obviously works somehow. Could the blower be going out, and just works every once in a while? I have no idea, and don't really want to drop a few hundred getting it replaced at the moment. Evidently my A/C evap canister is in the way...

You may want to test the plug to the blower motor with a test light to see if there's power going to it.

Back