Clean engine?

B192734

What's up everyone? Just wondering if anyone has cleaned their engine before. I was thinking of trying to make it a little cleaner because I am going to replace a few things in there, and was hoping to not be wallowing around in a completely greasy, grimy mess. No big deal if it is I suppose, just figured it would be easier to work, and easier to clean up afterwards if it was clean...

If you did, what did you use, and what would you have done differently?

I like to keep my Jeep clean, including my engine. I did some research on this earlier, and I believe that you want a citrus based engine cleaner. I picked up a pump bottle of orange cleaner from the local Advance Auto and it works well. The key is to use a degreaser that isn't petroleum based.

I'm on the fence about using some type of hose dressing. If you clean your engine, then spray tire shine on your hoses it'll look great. Most people say that it attracts more dirt, but I haven't really seen that.

Mopar engine shampoo is the best stuff I have tried. Spray on a warm engine. Let sit for 15. Spray again and wash off.

When you say "wash off", are you talking about with a hose? Regular water? Do you need to cover your alternator or anything? I would imagine pull the battery? I haven't done that before, so just want to make sure I don't do something dumb... Just want to clean up a bunch before really getting the wrench in there.

When I use the orange stuff, I just coat the engine with the spray, then spray it again ever 10 minutes a couple of time, giving the stuff time to sink in. I then use a brush on the really bad areas, then hose it down with a sharp stream of water (garden hose, not a pressure washer). I don't cover anything.

As to the Mopar engine wash, he may be talking about this:
Mopar OEM Engine Degreaser - AutoTruckToys.com

I use a pressure washer. Just stay away from the PCM. Air filter. Here's the stuff I use. I spray it on when I get to the car wash then wash the rest of the veh then do the engine.

Attachments

• image-1710205523.png
    image-1710205523.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
Well I'll see what I can find then. I have to make a quick stop at the parts store today for some oil and what-not, so maybe I'll try it out this weekend. Busy weekend, but I think Monday has "Jeep Working Day" written all over it. Gotta be all fixed and ready for when the ice from winter turns into springtime mud...

oven cleaner really works the best and ucan get a shit load at the dollar stores for cheap works better then any engine degreser out there spray on let sit start engine and rinse off with hose

oven cleaner really works the best and ucan get a shit load at the dollar stores for cheap works better then any engine degreser out there spray on let sit start engine and rinse off with hose

guess someone don' like there paint job much

oven cleaner not only eats paint it corrodes all cast , aluminum , hoses and also belts electrical system components , and increase battery corrosion/or even cause your battery to explode ,

mean green or agent orange both biodegradable degreasing products found at most auto part stores both work awesome

always avoid spraying water or cleaner directly on electrical/ignition part also if you clean engine let it run that way you hear how its running if you get close to anything that should be avoided you'll hear engin loss power

Yeah, I would think that oven cleaner would really eat away at the soft spots and any kind of finish.

i have heard that but i've been doing it fors years and have had not one problem with any of that if i did i would have never mentioned it

after the issue I just had going in circles chasing an issue that wound up being the TPS, issues that started ~40 hours after a power wash with a steam cleaner, all I can say is be careful; and that my tolerance for a dirty engine compartment just went upwards a notch or 2

Back