Winch capacity

B192734

Hey peeps! I am planning on getting a new bumper for the front end, and was wondering what kind of weight capacity you have for your winches. I have one sitting at the parents house right now that's a 9000lb ready to bolt on if that would be enough. Otherwise it'll be just one more expense in a hobby that is so horribly cheap...;)

Well it's a moderately standard '00 Cherokee. I figured 9K would be fine, but I wanted to run it past people to hear some second opinions first.

I run my 8500 no prob and it's been buried good. And I'm on 33s and it's been through lots of muskeg

I'm upgrading to a 9500 just because I burnt mine out from abuse lol

I run a 8000 and have never had a problem. But I also have a snatch block just in case thinks get serious.

My M8000 pulls me just fine, 38s and all and I've had them pretty much burried. Rule of thumb is 1.5 times the vehicle weight. I have a snatch block just in case as well.

I just found the forum and love reviving old posts for other new readers!
The correct winch size is based on 50% more than you currently can afford, seriously.
The capacity isnt about your vehicles weight, since you are not only going to be using it to winch your own vehicle out. Add gumbo mud, and a buried axel, a front end down in the goo and you are plowing an unknown quantity of weight. the suction created by the mud on your tires adds further psi you need to deal with drawing against the vehicle. So the winch needs to be able to pull the minimum of twice the static weight of the vehicle PLUS more... so in short a 9000 lb winch in reality is about the smallest that you can use... the idea of rolling resistance doesnt work in the real world... we deal with dead resistance.

Back