Sprayed silicone on my serpentine belt!!! NEED HELP!!!

W00GYB00GY

I have a 1996 XJ 4.0 straight 6, and recently it has been running rough, I have to accelerate extremely slow or else my jeep won't go, and if I'm going 55mph or any speed and I try to press a little harder my jeep will kinda stall out, it wont shut off completely but it kinda freezes.

About a week ago I sprayed silicone on my belt to prevent the belt from squealing and I didn't no that was a horrible idea....FML, but I'm not sure if that has thrown the timing off or what but this problem started happening the same day I sprayed the silicone on my belt.

When it happens, I can put my car in neutral shut it off and restart it, and I can drive it with no problems for like 10-15 seconds then it goes back to the hesitation/stalling problem.

I replaced my TPS, and the first o2 sensor on the downpipe with a new one, and my problem still hasn't changed.

I straight piped my jeep a while back and have had no problems what so ever, and I know the code would come up for it (P0171) but it has never been an issue, and my check engine light never came on because I did the anti-fowler method.

But then I scanned my jeep today and this code came up...

P0172 (M) 1/1 Fuel System Rich A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor.

Suddenly my jeep has thrown the P0172 for fuel system to rich...

Can anyone help out? I know I'll probably hear it for straight piping, but I have no smog tests and no inspections where I live.

Forget the silicone that has nothing to do with your problem. You would have to spray so much that the belt would slip over the cogs and that would not let it run well after a restart.

When you straight piped it, did you remove (get rid of) any O2 sensors? I'm wondering if an unplugged O2 sensor may read as lean (or rich).

I'm with Ken on the silicon. I don't think that your belt would have anything to do with your mixture (but may cause power steering / alternator charging issues)

When you straight piped it, did you remove (get rid of) any O2 sensors? I'm wondering if an unplugged O2 sensor may read as lean (or rich).

I'm with Ken on the silicon. I don't think that your belt would have anything to do with your mixture (but may cause power steering / alternator charging issues)

I have both o2 sensors still plugged in and they are both secure.

I don't know what to do, and my jeep is my only mode of transportation so I can get anywhere

Here is a video I took of my jeep in action...

1996 Jeep XJ sputtering HELP! - YouTube

When the problem happens in the video, my foot was on the gas pedal the entire time, I wasn't pressing it then letting go, then pressing it....let me know what you guys think...

Well all the sensors I checked were normal, I then checked the fuel pressure idling in my drive way and it was 45-55psi then I drove around with it hooked up, and when the problem started my fuel pressure drastically dropped to 20-5psi, then I would stall out.

So right away I knew it was the fuel pump, went to the parts store for a fuel pump and strainer and installed it and now we are good to go...I drove it for about 35 mins and the problem never happened. I will test it out later and drive around for longer just to be 100% positive but I'm pretty sure its fixed.

Thanks for all the help on here...you guys are awesome!

Back