dana 44a question

eric m

Does anyone know for sure if the diff cover on the 44a is the same as a regular 44? I'm going to have to change rear axle seals, I had read that'll I'll have to pull the shafts and because its a "c" clip axle I'll have to pull the cover...thought I might as well upgrade the cover if I have to pull it off anyway.

eric m said:
Does anyone know for sure if the diff cover on the 44a is the same as a regular 44? I'm going to have to change rear axle seals, I had read that'll I'll have to pull the shafts and because its a "c" clip axle I'll have to pull the cover...thought I might as well upgrade the cover if I have to pull it off anyway.

I thought the point of a 44 was no c clip?

I have the 8.25 and I wanted to swap it out just for that reason.

cherokeechick said:
I thought the point of a 44 was no c clip?

I have the 8.25 and I wanted to swap it out just for that reason.

Most 44's don't. I unfortunaly have one of the aluminum center section 44's that jeep put in some gr cherokees. The worst part someone actualy took the time to swap it in before I bought it! Per my vin# the Jeep came with a 35 rear...

Yea, I agree but still if your take the time to swap something....at least it got me 3.73 axle gears (per the id tags), that helps some with the 31's.

xjmarc said:
That makes no since since both the D35 and D44a are c-clipped but the 44a is a little stronger but not much. The housing is the weakest link for both.

You are correct. After a little research I found it. I always thought that all 44s were non c-clip. I swapped my 44a years ago due to gears being eaten and the true 44 was available for cheaper than new gears.

Back