XJ Oil Pressure Light

mujaman

Hi guys,

My 1997 XJ has given me the Oil Pressure Warning Light (it only has dummy lights - no actual gauges) for the first time ever in the 11 years I've owned it.

The weird thing is... it only came on immediately after I did an oil change. I did everything just like normal, but right after I started it up with the new oil to check the pressure, the light came on and hasn't gone off since.

Could I just have a bad sending unit/sensor? Or is there a chance the pump is actually out or something? Where should I start looking?

It runs/sounds perfectly fine, and I actually had done the oil change right after a cross-country drive (California to West Virginia).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

i'd say the sending unit if the oil pump fails you will most likely know it if it runs for awhile and u can't hear any ticking or knocking i'd say u have nothing to worry about

last time mine went off i was hot dogging with a bunch of my buddies and i ignored it and over heated, turned out a pad under my radiator cap came loose and fell off inside and kept shooting radiator fluid under the hood, and the coolant bottle overflowed allover, you might want to check the cap every once in a while

Back