Wiper motor - quick question

mud4feet

1990 Cherokee Limited. The wipers don't work - used to give me one swipe or so and then quit. Now they don't work at all. I've got some other electrical issues so I thought this was part of it. Removed the cowl and noticed that the motor has been replaced before - all wires are "cut and re-connected". One of the connections fell apart in my hand, so I was hoping that was the problem. Check all wires on the motor side of the connection and all 3 hots are getting juice, so I'm assuming my motor has took a dump. Is this a valid assumption? Don't really want to go throwing parts at it. Thanks in advance.

Well..........2 days, 75 views, and 0 responses.:roll::( Went on ahead and bought a used motor. I would post a follow-up once it comes, but I don't think anyone cares.

it probably isn't that no one cares it just may be that no one has a good answer for you did you try testing the wires coming from the harness these wiper motors are not the greatest i've replaced mine three times sence i've owned my xj so it is a good chance the motor is bad

it probably isn't that no one cares it just may be that no one has a good answer for you did you try testing the wires coming from the harness these wiper motors are not the greatest i've replaced mine three times sence i've owned my xj so it is a good chance the motor is bad

Appreciate your response. I was just looking for a yes-no answer....not too complicated. If you re-read the original post, yes...I tested the wires. Good to know that these motors suck - that's all I was looking for before I start spending money. Thanks, kingmega, for your response. Beats the hell out of being totally ignored.

I've been dormant for awhile otherwise you woulda got a similar answer from me. I've replaced the wiper motor twice in my xj but it sounds like your ready for some new wiring too.

wiring and solder with shrink wrap is the best way and if you have to replace more than once leave some extra lead to cut and re install! good luck!

For those who care......bought a used motor off eBay - $50 with free shipping. Very easy install (and solved my "jointed wiring" problems). Phillips screwdriver, a couple of sockets, and my leatherman and the old one was out and the new one installed in about a half an hour (with more rain looming). Happy that my original suspicions were correct - just hope this used motor will last a while.

Glad to hear It worked. Sucks being in the rain with no wipers. I had my headlights die on me in the middle of nowhere doing about 60. Yeehaa

Man that would have just topped it all off. I had to drive like 20 miles on the shoulder with a cute little flashlight taped to the bumper. Brother those were good times. Lol

Back