04 Liberty making odd noises & won't start

sayruh

I've been driving it all day with no problem, but when I went to start it up before leaving my apartment this afternoon it started acting up. When I turn the key, it won't start - but the AC, radio, lights on the dash, etc. all still work. I guess that means it's not the battery (?) but I've had some issues with the battery in the past so I'm not ruling it out. The weirdest thing is the noise - all the locks on the doors sound like they're just going up and down, and then there is also a sad noise coming from the engine when I try to turn the key all the way.

Thoughts or suggestions? Will it help to jump the battery? I'm a girl and know nothing car-related (I hate to stereotype myself but I'm just being honest:shades:) so the more dumb-downed the responses, the better!

Thanks guys

I've been driving it all day with no problem, but when I went to start it up before leaving my apartment this afternoon it started acting up. When I turn the key, it won't start - but the AC, radio, lights on the dash, etc. all still work. I guess that means it's not the battery (?) but I've had some issues with the battery in the past so I'm not ruling it out. The weirdest thing is the noise - all the locks on the doors sound like they're just going up and down, and then there is also a sad noise coming from the engine when I try to turn the key all the way.

Thoughts or suggestions? Will it help to jump the battery? I'm a girl and know nothing car-related (I hate to stereotype myself but I'm just being honest:shades:) so the more dumb-downed the responses, the better!

Thanks guys

Wow this is a trip lol

my 06 is doing same thing no warning just bam

well its some kind of a dead short I'm convinced
alt is fried batt fried wire to ignition on column fried

think it might be a good time for a :cookout:see if my wife would have listened to me when I told her it's time to dump it I wouldn't be so frustrated ,
now I tell my wife if it's out of warranty trade it in get a new one lol

well just in my repair estimate $2700 . sitting here flicking my lighter getting bad ideas in my head :x :flamethro

Last edited:
well we found the culprit , the cheap terminals connected to the battery corroded causing a bad connection , that caused a chain reaction of shorts , parts replaced due to cheap manufacturer parts , steering column $950. , Alternator $185. , engine compartment wire harness which includes new battery cables $700. , battery $115. , Labor $750
total $2700.
Labor would have been twice that if I didn't step in and help

all parts were burned up so they needed replace not a cheap fix in no means

Back