Oh Where Did The Freon Go

Crusty

:???: I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with about 100000 miles, has the 4.0 engine. For some reason the freon just vanishes. It has a new compressor and leak tested twice with two different machines. The vacuum has been dropped to 200 mico things, and refilled. Currently it is cooling but for how long don't know, at over $100.00 a pop, need to find the gremlin any ideas, help or guesses are greatly appreciated.

For the most part, when freon leaks it will leave a trail of oil (PAG) where it escapes with the pressure. If the leak is very small, in time the oil will saturate that area and accumulate dust and will give you a clue where the leak could be coming from. I would suggest that the next time you have the a/c system recharged, have them install an a/c dye into the system. A reputable a/c shop would have a UV light that can detect the dye when it leaks out the a/c system and determine where the leak is. For a preliminary check of your own, you can inspect the condenser,accumulator, a/c lines and their connecting joints(fittings) and a/c compressor and see if anything is saturated wet from an oily substance. Keep in mind of it's surrounding components that may also lead you to a false assumption of a leak such as a transmission line leak that can saturate it's surrounding area with the fluid or and engine oil. If no leaks are found in any of the areas readily accesible , chances are, the leak could be in the evaporator which could be diagnosed by someone who has a UV camera system to verify inside the hvac housing.

Thanks will keep looking. The tech said the system has dye in it, so all I need is a black light.....reminds me of the disco days.....:shades:

the dye will help alot my 2000 xj does the same thing yours is doing i put some of freon with the stop leak in it but not the proper fix for it

Finally found the leak, it was the evaporator, had to remove dash I also replace the heater coil while I had everything apart, do not want to do this again.

Back