2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Transmission Problems

godzilla1

Hi,
I got in my jeep and started driving yesterday. The Automatic transmission appears to be stuck in first or second gear. It would not shift out of first or second (Not sure what gear it is in) and wouldn't shift manually. So I pulled the TCM 15A fuse and went for a ride and noticed it would shift in "Drive" and "2nd gear" Manually and engaged fine. I put the fuse in and pulled the larger box like fuse/relay and the Jeep shifted between 2nd gear and drive manually. The transmission was fully engaged. Does this information help? Seems like an electrical problem? I am now getting codes P 0753 and P 1765. I wasn't getting them until after I pulled and replaced those fuse/relay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can you tell me what is likely the problem and which solenoids to replace?

I am in no way and expert on this, but it sounds like your Jeep is in limp mode. Limp mode is designed to put you in 2nd gear and get you off the road.

P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P1765 Trans 12 Volt Supply Relay Control Circuit

P1765-An open or shorted condition is detected in the Transmission Relay control circuit.
P0753- An open or shorted condition detected in the transmission 2-4 shift solenoid circuit

I did some research on this, and someone else suggested:

Change you transmission relay and it should do the trick I would try to unplug the relay, clean it and put it back first. If it wouldn't do it, get a new one

I switched the relay with the other that matched and it didn't make a difference. Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

I took it to the shop. They said it is the Direct Clutch $1800-$2500 for a rebuild. I am in Colorado. Should I do this or does anyone know where I can buy a rebuild and have it installed? Thanks

Back