95 ZJ Intermittently shutting down - I'm stumped.

n3rdpwdr

I have a weird issue going on. I have a 95 ZJ Orvis. So far after I bought it I had driven about 4 miles down the road and then sitting at a red light, it just quit. It had like no electronics for a second then set off the factory sec system. At the time I had no idea what was wrong with it so I had it towed to the house and started with the fuel system. I thought this would be the best place to start as the Jeep had been sitting for the last 2 or so years. So I blew out the fuel line and replaced the filter, turned the key and it fired right up. I drove it for about 2 or 3 months then sent it off to have transmission rebuilt. It took 3 weeks of hell and fighting with the mechanic (which in turn has lost my repeat business) to get the truck done. When I picked it up the same thing happened. That time I was able to get it to fire back up but did nothing to it. Then this weekend I had planned a family camping trip to go with a couple of friends with nice Jeeps to go wheel with. Did all necessary pre-trip inspections and repairs, then on the way out of town I got driving about 40 or so miles running at normal temp not hot I was sitting at the light and it shut down again. I attempted to start it again and noticed that when I turn the key to the on position the Tachometer needle spun all the way past 9 down into the black and bounced back to around 7 or so. I then took the Positive off of the battery for about 10 minutes. When I reconnected it the sec system went back off and then the truck was able to start and run. I had to repeat this process about 10 times just to get the LOADED down truck home.

I think it may be the ECM but don't know for sure to just throw 300 at the problem at "hope for the best". Any help is appreciated.

My cousins 93 Limited did this and we thought cps and that fixed it for about a week. Sometimes it would turn over but not fire. I pulled the battery cables, cleaned them and touched the positive and negative cables together, without the battery connected of course, to reset the ecm. Put the now clean cables back on and it's been fine for about 6 months now. I think his was loosing a good connection and going into security mode.

Ok so I cleaned the terminals and the posts, put it back to together and it didn't start. I then unplugged all the sensors on the tbi for 15 min. then reconnected the batt. So far so good. I think that I will start with replacing the tps and go from there.

Did you touch the two cables together to reset the ECU? I usually hold them together for 30 seconds or so.

Yes I did that. So far it has been running good, still going to replace the tps to be more trusting of the Jeep. I can't stand when I look at my Jeep in the parking lot it makes my stomach jump up into my throat wondering if it is going to stall out on the freeway on the way home. The way people drive around here, that could end my life.

Back