Remote starter - bypass module

Kresha039

Hi all
I have a grand cherokee 2002 that almost 2 years now, and it came with (autostart) not working remote starter. I took it to a guy today and hi fixed the remote starter for 250 $. And all it does its only start the vehicle, not unlock or lock the doors or the trunk. He said for that to work you need to put a new bypass module, making it cost 400 $. Since it is little bit to pricey, I did some research and found some cheap bypass modules online, and the install looks easy too.
But i want to be sure and hopefully someone will give some guidance on my question:
- If I buy a bypass module, is it easy to install without messing with the remote starter or messing something else? And can I program it, even though I have only one key? I really don't want to go back and give more money about this!

I live in bad winters (Canada), and with 2 babies, this needed to be done!

Thanks a lot in advance
Kresha.

Last edited:

I'm not seeing the sense on having a separate remote starter from a keyless remote. There's quite a bit of aftermarket alarm systems out there that offers remote door lock functions, remote start and alarm all in one for a lot cheaper than $400.00 dollars. I also haven't heard of having a "bypass" module to install a remote keyless entry. If your Jeep is equipped with a SKIM system( gray key), the aftermarket system will still work by doing a little mod on the ignition housing. One thing i've seen work is taking the chip off the key and gluing it on the side of the ignition tumbler so that the SKIM module always see's a valid key on the ignition even if you are using a key from walmart that doesn't have a security chip in the key.

The bypass module is only for the starter. The locks just need to be wired and set up to the lock circuit usually a negative pulse. I don't recommend the skim under the column. That's how crooks got my last truck just broke the lock and they had it running with a screw driver. The locks are easily wired up just need a wiring diagram.

They keyless entry does not need to see a valid key its just looking for the signal from the fob.

Back