Have a chance to buy this jeep! Problems?

va_subdivisions

First of all I am new and would like to say hi to all! A woman at work has offered to sell me her jeep. Its a 99, 152,000, GCL, 4.0, AOD with from what I can tell Quadra - Trac II. I don't know what kind of rear end or how to tell.? It seems to have some "drive" noise in the rear end. Also when I turn the wheel sharp there is some noise and tire squeal. There is also 3" or so of play in the steering wheel. Besides that the motor runs great and trans seems to shift good. The body and int are in good condition with everything working. She wants 2000.00 and will let me make payments. I could really use a second car. I would love any thoughts on if the problems it has are big issues. I am decent at working on cars and should be able to do any repairs myself. Thanks, Bill

The noise in the rear end and 3" of play in the steering would concern me. The tire squeal when making a sharp turn is probably normal. If you're really concerned ask if you can have a mechanic check it out before you but it.

3 inches of play is a big deal. Could be any number of things. Some cheap fixes others break the bank.

The rear end noise is probly worn out bearings. My brothers jeep came with it and it was under 200... The front steering I don't know.. could be bad ball joints or a loose joint somewhere. Probly around the same price range.

Back