1997 Loredo Power issues Turns off then back on while in drive

Chubbster

Hello I have been having some issues on a regular basis. Usually on my way to work my jeep will turn off when Im traveling on the highway at about 70 MPH and then turn its self back on while in drive. The first time this happened I attempted to pull off to the shoulder when it started itself again so now I dont leave my lane as it always starts itself back up. I work at Autozone and have did some investigating and found that a possibility was the cap and rotor. Since I have replace the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. The only time it came up with a check engine light was the initial time it shut down on me and that code brought up CPS and possibly that the timing chain jumped on me. I have only owned the Jeep since 2010 at 122k miles and it now has 148k. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I will more then likely be replacing the CPS tonight when I get home but any input would be appreciated.

What size engine do you have?

Assuming you have the 4.0 then the CPS would be a good place to start. They are only $34 at Autozone, and aren't too hard to replace from what I understand.

Yes I have the straight 6 and have replaced the cps yesterday. I've been ruling out other possibilities such as disconnecting the remote start alarm system on it. With my problem off my jeep turning off and on by itself while it was in drive was the thing that throws everyone including myself off is that the check engine light did not come on the dash bulb itself worked. So since I've replaced the cps it has not done it, however I did notice when I pulled out the old one it did have some shaving in the contact point so maybe that was causing the issue. Thanks for the suggestion now its time to replace the breaks :) . Also I was also reading online a lot about this issue and some have said that it could also be the pcm caused by screws that are to long and cause a short just in case a question comes up like mine.

I also have the same problem on my 96 Honda accord 6 cyl. I will check the cap n rotor as u mention.

Back