Need some help please

USAFJEEPR

I've got a 97 jeep Cherokee 4.0 inline 6. I had gotten it as a project, didn't run. Got it to run. But it was rough. Started with a tuneup. Now that that is done I can never get it to start easy or idle. Most of the time I have to play with the throttle to get it to start, kind of like it's a damn carburetor. Finally got it to run and idle the other day. But still really rough and it won't start anywhere near easy once it's hot. Got the check engine light to come on, p0320. Changed the crankshaft positioning sensor. And I haven't really had a change in condition. Any ideas out there???

You may want to start with cleaning up the idle speed control ( ISC ). The pintle shaft can get gummy and when that happens it becomes sticky. You stated that you have to play with the throttle. There could be a chance that the throttle position sensor ( TPS ) could be giving up the ghost. This can lead to poor idling and a hard start as well. It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body either.

Did you happen to change the spark plugs or wires? If so then I'd verify that the spark plug wires are in the correct order.

Catoctin Jeep said:
You may want to start with cleaning up the idle speed control ( ISC ). The pintle shaft can get gummy and when that happens it becomes sticky. You stated that you have to play with the throttle. There could be a chance that the throttle position sensor ( TPS ) could be giving up the ghost. This can lead to poor idling and a hard start as well. It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body either.

I agree. Firstthing I thought of was a dirty isc... Use something like carb cleaner or brakecleaner... Maybe sea foam and clean your whole throttle body.. at the very least it will help

I did pull the iac. It was pretty nasty. I think I just need a new one in general. And I did verify the ignition order when I first did it. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how things go

When you pulled the IAC did you look in the bore were the taper on the pintle seats. There is a small hole, make sure that is open.

i didnt know about that and i didnt look. i will look at that. whats the name of that piece that the iac mounts on. i took it off and need the gasket that goes between it and the throttle body.

kind of of topic here but what base are you stationed at i am going to nellis in december

I'm actually not at a base yet. I just signed up in may. I'm part of the DEP. I leave for basic in decber

i remeber those days basic is fun first couple weeks is a real shocker stay out of 324th med hold they like to make things hell for when you grad and do laudry crew you will miss most of the "ass beatings" that way all they do is pt you till you are blue in the face its really easy you just have to give it your all

I am ecstatic to ship out for basic. What do you do? And how long have you been in?

Back