tips for stock intake *more power

Benskate1

until i get my giant k and n filter ive opted to tweak my xjs intake . Heres a few things to do in under an hour or two, with out having to buy anything.

Notice where your air box gets its air from. On all the xjs ive seen theres either a pipe with an opening almost behind the headlamp or a pipe that points down towards the ground to the side of the headlamp.

Mine is the latter.

All you have to do to gain more power and increase your acceleration a heck of alot is toy with these things. I cut the little tube that points down so that any air rishing at my grill goes ito the pipe and wow what a difference. more power, and a crapload more acceleration.

I used to redline at around 25-30 in my 1st gear on my 2.5 with the AX4, now its still crusin in 1st on 35. Big increase of power.

2. Notice the pipe that connects your airbox to your intake, it you look on the inside its really bumpy. Take it off and throw it away. Now get either a piece of rubber tubing or plastic, just anything in your garage that will fit and thats smooth on the inside and put that on their instead. Bam more airflow.

3. For all you guys with the k and n or other air tube set up heres a way to gain some more power, go look at your grill on the drivers side and look for the hole behind you grill to the side of the air box. use pliers or tinsnips or something and rip that hole open to make it as big as possible, now that k and n will have more air to filter.

try these things and i know they work cause ive done thenm myself. free performance whats better than that.[addsig]

I have also heard of drilling extra holes in the orginal box to allow more air flow in. Has anyone else herd this? Tug[addsig]

i just went looking for the little hole you described and found something completely different. in my 96 cherokee i have a cold air intake and right where the tip of the cone points, there is a 6 inch by 8 inch rectangle hole. the thing is, the hole as covered with the rubbery plastic cover. i just removed the screws and popped the plate off and now i can look through my grill and actually see my filter. my engine also runs 10-20 degrees cooler now too. it used to like to sit just at 210 on hot days now its a good ways under it. even after sitting at idle for several minutes. thanks for the tip, and what year is your XJ? maybe that would explain the difference in holes.[addsig]

great writeup! i was just under my hood yesterday and yanked part of it out... and now after reading your post, i think i'll go cut some more out today with my dremel! :)[addsig]

i dont think drilling hole in the airbox could help. if you drilled thenon the lid of the air box, all of the filtered air rushing to your carb or fuel injectors would escape and mabey some unfiltered dirty air could make its way in, but not as much as if you would have left it alone. drilling holes in the bottom or the box would do almost the same. now what i would do, is take a funnel of some sort and make it wide at the small end, and shove that in the intake hole of your airbox so it faces the grill, then more air would be forced to go in.[addsig]

yeah ive got an 86 ckerokee 4x4, and a 93 cherokee 2x4
jeep changed thier air intakes alot throughout the 17 year span of cherokee production.

they plug up their air boxes for factory emmisions standards and such. it wont hurt your smog results but they have to have a certain degree of power restriction on all factory produced automobiles. fact is, its easy and better to just go and rip out all the crap that the factory put in there to block air.

now dont get air blocking confused with water and mud blocking. under your air box is a crucial area where if there is nothing sealing off the holes down there wen you go to hit that big mud hole, water and mud shoots into your engine compartment, for all you with the k and n setup, that means that yoll have to recharge your filter all the time, and for us with the airbox, and without, when that water and mud gets into the engine compartment, your cherokees not-so-water proof electrical compartments are at risk. i should know after replacing a distributer, ignition module, coil, and other costly items.

so its easy to get more air, its also easy to get mud and water in your engine, some cherokees came with a factory water guard (lucky ones), but quite a few didnt, meaning no protection.

the fix is easy again, you can do all kinds of pretty cool things to fix this. the easy cheap way is to take a peice of tarp or any water proof material, ideally rubber or equivalent, and attach it to the little mounting holes under the radiator and above your lower bumpermolding. theres all kinds of predrilled holes under there, so no need to make more, then bolt it up, next bolt the other side to the slanted part of the frame a few feet down on the other side of your steering components.

now heres the cool fix, instead of tarp go to home depot and buy a piece of sheet metal, not too thick to bend, not too thin though. bolt it up in those same holes and bam, youve got a skid plate. now the trick is to bend it around your tie rods and other components so that there is no contact, it shouldnt be too hard, ive done it. to check for contact have a friend sit in the drivers seat, or just turn the wheel all the way to full lock and go down there and check it, its easier to see with a tire removed, but you dont need to.

any questions? i know there will be, cause alot of people dont get this one. [addsig]

Back