Front end wander

01jeepgc

Hello,

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee with 133000 on it. I have noticed recently that the front end seems to wander a bit when I run across uneven pavement. Almost as if the jeep is steering one direction and I am steering another. Some play in the steering wheel as well. What could be causing that?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mark

Worn tierod ends, worn or loose front trackbar, bad steering gear box.

Best to have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth against full-lock while you inspect every front-end component for excess movement.

If I search Pepboys, Autozone their sites come up with nothing. NAPA has one for $109.00. That seems high compared to what I have been reading. Would it be called something else? Or, maybe a part number would be helpful.

Also, I am considering just changing the entire track bar. What I've read is that is easier than having to remove the old bushing.

Are you sure that's the problem? Worn trackbars are pretty common, but you should try and make sure before you swap it out. Just do what Bounty said and lay in front of the Jeep while someone turns the wheel back and forth. There should be some component that has slop in it.

If you have any plans on lifting your Jeep in the future (even just an inch or two), then I'd suggest you get an aftermarket adjustable trackbar. I've got a JKS (nice but expensive)
JKS Part OGS125 - Adjustable Front Track Bar

You could also get something cheaper like this
Jeep XJ Shackle Relocation Kit
(Call and ask for Dustin and he will normally give you a Jeepz.com discount)

Back