99 Jeep Grand Cherokee no start just a click form the starter

Betty_Rides

I have a 99 Cheerokee Loredo 4L in line 6. I've just gotten this jeep. Replaced the battery connectors and the battery. Drove it for a couple of weeks with out hassle. I put the key in as usual and the jeep wouldn't start. It normally is a slow start but neer just "CLICK". I checked the fuse for ignition, and the relay for starter and they are fine. I replaced the starter with no avail. I'm not sure where else to look. Your insight is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I would first go over all ur connections battery, starter,etc it's a problem that is overlooked alot of times i would start there

kingmega said:
I would first go over all ur connections battery, starter,etc it's a problem that is overlooked alot of times i would start there

I agree. Make sure you battery terminals are firmly connected. They may appear to be connected but if it doesn't have a real strong firm connection it your starter won't be able to draw enough amps to work properly

Hi, I am new to this , I had the same problem on Monday jeep gr cherokee wouldn't start & something is knocking out the clock and making it go back to factory settings & blink.....HELP!!!

Have your battery tested first. If the battery has a bad cell and can't keep up with the cranking amps required to start the engine, it will result into a system reset. Your radio clock is dependent on the battery power to retain memory and it will reset if there's not enough juice on the battery or the power is interrupted. If you still have cranking issues, follow the thread below and verify your connections.

Hi, I am new to this , I had the same problem on Monday jeep gr cherokee wouldn't start & something is knocking out the clock and making it go back to factory settings & blink.....HELP!!!

Have your battery tested first. If the battery has a bad cell and can't keep up with the cranking amps required to start the engine, it will result into a system reset. Your radio clock is dependent on the battery power to retain memory and it will reset if there's not enough juice on the battery or the power is interrupted. If you still have cranking issues, follow the thread below and verify your connections.

:) Thanks so much & that's exactly what we did ....we cleaned the terminals on the battery & hooked it back up so we shall see.... it drove fine yesterday....thanks

Thanks for the good ideas I think it's more than the battery or the connections since I have replaced the connectiosn to the battery, the battey is new like the week before it stopped starting. Where do I look next?

Does it only click and not turnover?, does the lamps in the dash looks normal on their brightness? , everything works but not turn over?

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee Sport with the same issue. Battery has full charge, alternator is working fine, lights come on but radio doesn't work. Will start fine sometimes but then not start at inconvenient times, like at the grocery store or work parking lot, less than 30 minutes after it started fine. No overheating, no dashboard lights are on. I have replaced the battery three times in the 6 months I've owned the car. After speaking with the salesman who sold me the Jeep, he told me the previous owner had the same problems which is why he sold the Jeep. :( The salesman also said the local Jeep dealership had checked out my Jeep before I bought it and said they could find no issues with the car. WTH???

A very nice gentleman who works for roadside assistance said he suspects a loose/bad grounding wire....after he worked for almost 30 minutes to help start my car. He was very confused by the fully charged battery and fully operational starter and alternator.

Please, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for reading! <3

The starting system is not as complicated as you think. The starter will have a large gauge wire to the battery while the base itself is grounded to the engine. The engine block should also have a sufficient ground cable to the battery. Attached to the starter is a solenoid that engages the larger motor for the starter to kick up a gear to crank the motor. Often, the signal wire going to this solenoid is overlooked. The main feed to this circuit is your ignition switch. If the circuit is not completed or has an intermittent open on the ignition circuit, a momentary click on the starter is sometimes the symptom. Check the connector going to the electrical switch of your ignition and see if any of the terminals are burnt or has signs of arching. If so, that would be most likely the culprit.

Back