AT pan has filler/dip stick tube attached

98Chero

Im just trying to do some basic maintance to my 1990 4x4 4sp AT. The filler tube is attached to the AT pan and I have tried to pry the tube out but it seems to be stuck in there pretty solid, its seems to me that my only option is to remove to upper filler tube bracket and lower the pan and tube at the same time.. surely there is a better way. any help would be greatlt appriceated.

You gotta twist pull and hold your tongue right. Its a pain I soak the top in a little penetrating fluid. The o ring bakes in there good. Is this the aw4?

Yep its a aw4, i hope that means that the front axle's turn all the time. If its baked in there it must be overdone because it dosnt move at all even when I twist and turn the removed AT pan, but it will come loose right ?

It should. I gave up on mine I just drain and fill it. If the filter is plugged I have bigger problems. Like a failed clutch or something. A trans should never over it's life release enough junk to fill a filter. If it does there's a bigger problem

And the front axles is determined by the t case not the transmission

I see, apparently the previous owner of the jeep had the same problem.. thats why the filter and gasket kit came with the jeep when I purchased it last year. sadly they did a poor job of siliconing the pan back in place. I have the jeeps frame up on jackstands and I hope its high enough that I can remove the upper tube bracket and take the pan and tube out at the same time ?.

As a last ditch effort I tried a crow bar to pull the tube out of the pan .. but nada.. no way:scratch:..They must have a special tool for that at the dealerships :?|I was able to lower the pan by taking the upper tube bracket loose and disconnecting the exhaust pipe at the manifold. It only came down 8-10 inches but it was enough to clean off the old gasket and install the new filter.
Notes..
Use penitrating oil on exhaust bolt nuts first.
Clean off old gaskets then use paper towels to clean out the inside of pan.
Clean and replace magnets (2) and put them back in place.
Put new gasket on and install pan bolts thru new gasket before installing pan.
Then :beer:

Last edited:
I use heat to warm up the oring and pull it apart. Chances are high someone put stop leak in the trans, because that is what causes the orings to over swell.

Back