1998 cherokee charging intermittently

rebel1972

Hello, I'm new here .I have a question about a 1998 jeep cherokee 4.0 . I've tried the search but haven't come up with the answer to this problem.When it's cold and you start it it isn't charging .I can jump it off and it will start charging again. I was thinking it may be a faulty alternator but after googling it , it could be a myriad of things from the PCM to faulty wiring to the battery temp sensor . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Welcome to Jeepz.com.

Is it throwing any error codes?

I tried using the check engine light and trip/set button but all I got was a 23 and one quick flash fo the check engine light after the diagnostics .It's my Step-daughter's jeep so I don't have a manual or code reader .When I start it cold it shows around 12 volts on the gauge but it will start falling . I can hook my truck up to it with jumper cables and both cars running ,turn the jeep off ,and when I restart it I have 14 volts .

So, I bought a scanner today , I showed no codes . I charged the battery last night. I started it this morning and it showed 12 volts. I turned the air ,the high beams, the interior lights and the radio on . it sat at 12v for a minute and then dropped to 9v. I hooked my truck up to it and shut the jeep off. I restarted the jeep and it went straight to 14v and stayed there. I shut it off and restarted and it was at 14v .I unhooked my truck it stayed on 14v.I have shut it off, and let it sit for a couple hours and its still charging . It seems like the little jolt that it gets from the jumper cables kicks the alternator on .

Last edited:
Back