need some advice

98 Jeep

I'm not sure what I want to do with the 98 JGC Limited I've had for 2 yrs 4 months. I've put a great deal of money into this thing, I really like it, it's a nice looking SUV but whoever had it prior to me which included maybe 4 or 5 other people literally destroyed it with all the wiring they did.
Last week after I finally got the clock to stop flashing and got it fixed to the correct day & time the break lights and back up lights on the driver side went out. Took it to the shop to get fixed and they called and said this vehicle had some major electrical issues. I believe this shop just didn't want to waste any time trying to fix it, they've commented on it on several occasions. They told me they contacted a guy who was exceptionally good at this sort of thing and would be able to fix it. So my daughters bf who is pretty good with cars suggested I take the car to this person myself because the original shop would only charge me for labor to drive the vehicle there and back. So that's where I'm at right now. It's been gone since Monday, took it yesterday to the guy who is so good at this sort of thing. As far as I'm concerned he can take out the blue tooth POS, the wire hanging down the door for XM, and the numerous wires left over from outside lights that were hooked up to it. The sunroof worked the day we brought it home, motor clicks but roof won't open, I could care less about a sunroof, if it is just stuck on the track fine, but I will not put in a new motor.

To date, I bought this car on Sept 22, 2010 at a cost of $5000.00 plus title & registration it came to $5273.00. Along the way I had to put in a new exhaust, the speakers were wired so badly and sounded so bad we replaced some of them, I liked the original radio/cd player buttons on the steering wheel so I bought a used one because they also did not work, I had the rust on the bottom sanded off and painted or whatever they do to prevent it, new fog light, numerous censors, rear rotors, rear brakes, e brakes,, serpentine belt, power steering pump, fixed horn, death wobble, brake hoses, oil leak, coolant leak, water pump, battery, there's more plus inspections I have put in an additional $3,601.85.

I have no idea what this genius is going to charge who has it now, I could be looking at another hefty bill, all because idiots could not trace the back light wiring to the front of the car.

Do I keep this SUV or get rid of it? I like it, it is a nice looking vehicle, but I got to drive my son's 2001 or 2004 JGC Laredo this morning which had nothing done to it and it was heaven driving it. I feel like I have no power steering when I try parking my Jeep anywhere. Highway driving is OK, just a little on the loud side.

What would you guys do?

Sorry this is so long but I am really frustrated at this point. I have the 89 Firebird but that is covered for the winter, don't like using that, besides it goes no where in the snow. I found a JGC near Allentown PA yesterday, beautiful beautiful car, 53,000 miles it was either a 2001 or 2004 for $7995.00, called about that, was sold on Wednesday, just my luck. I'll quit here.

Last edited:

"painless wiring" will have a whole harness for your jeep if you wanted to just rewire the whole thing, I sugest that only because you have spent so much on other parts it would be a shame to get rid of it now that you have replaced everything. I think the harnesses are a bit pricey (last i looked around 300-400) but you wouldnt know whats wrong with the new jeep if you sold this one and got another.

Sounds like you may have been peed off to the point that your already over this one. If your Jeep don't make you happy get one that will. It should work for you, not you work for it.

Sounds like you may have been peed off to the point that your already over this one. If your Jeep don't make you happy get one that will. It should work for you, not you work for it.
Easier said than done. Every JGC I have found on the internet are many many many miles away. There is nothing local plus if I do get another Jeep who is to say I won't be putting more money in that one? You never know what problems you will inherit when you purchase a used vehicle. I just don't know what to do. No way can we afford a brand new one. I really do like the car but there are times I feel like it is just nickel & dimming me to death, and I don't know how much more money I/we should put into it. Whoever had it before me built this thing for off road driving, it is not a smooth ride, it has huge mud tires on it with a 5" lift and wires everywhere. Stuff was just ripped out and the wires were left behind. If I had a knowledgeable person with me when I bought it maybe all these things would have been discovered and I never would have purchased it. My bad. I have found a few I like but like I said they're far away and shipping is extremely expensive. If I do get another one it most definitely has to be black. I did find one on Thursday that seemed to good to be true. Black, cloth seats, everything worked, they were even willing to bring it to the Allentown airport for pickup, it had a mere 53,000 miles on it, I called, it was sold on Wednesday, the day before. Just my luck. Thanks for the replies.

I really do like the car but there are times I feel like it is just nickel & dimming me to death, and I don't know how much more money I/we should put into it.

I'd expect the Jeep to continue having small issues every now and then, based on it's age - after all, it'll be considered a classic vehicle in 5 years. At this point you've got a good amount of money in it, and it sounds like you have most of the bugs worked out. I'd keep the Jeep (assuming you like it) and spend the nickles and dimes to keep it on the road. I'll be cheaper to keep what you have than to get another, but you'll have to put up with the hassle.

I don't mind putting a little money here and there in a vehical if it's paid for but it gripes my rear if I owe on it and have to feed it new parts. Like Terry said, you may be better off at this point paying the nickels and dimes till you can do better. I hope you have it squared away for a while. I also hope this doesn't jade you tword the Jeep brand. I've said it before an I'll say it again, the Cherokee I had was the best vehical I've ever owned. It asked for less an done more than any I've ever seen. At 340,000 miles I'd have drove it anywhere. I saw it about a month ago, still going strong.

I don't mind putting a little money here and there in a vehical if it's paid for but it gripes my rear if I owe on it and have to feed it new parts. Like Terry said, you may be better off at this point paying the nickels and dimes till you can do better. I hope you have it squared away for a while. I also hope this doesn't jade you tword the Jeep brand. I've said it before an I'll say it again, the Cherokee I had was the best vehical I've ever owned. It asked for less an done more than any I've ever seen. At 340,000 miles I'd have drove it anywhere. I saw it about a month ago, still going strong.
340,000 miles, that is hard to believe. I heard they are a really reliable vehicle, but I've never known a car to have that many miles on it.
I do own the car so not having payments is a good thing. The shop called me yesterday to find out what I wanted to keep in the car. Said he pretty much found all the wiring. So I am getting rid of everything but the MP3 player hook-up. They found hanging wires for an XM radio, lights that were either on the top or bottom, a DVD player that doesn't work, the monitors were glued to the 2 front visors and he used so much glue they would not stay up, I already have new visors I purchased bout a yr ago so they r going to put them on, different color than the headliner but I don't care about that. They got the back brake light fixed, turned out to be a bulb, y couldn't the original place I took it too figure that one out. Just lazy I guess. The heated seats they said was the element and it would be costly to fix so I will go without them, as for the sun roof I don't care about that either but I think the motor is OK, just won't open. He said he would look 2 c if it was off the track or whatever it sits on. So for now I decided to keep it since I do like it and have a great deal of money into it, but I will keep looking every now and then, you never know when that one that got away will end up in your lap. Oh, I did need a new headlight switch. I can only imagine what this bill is going to be. Thanks for all the replies and I will keep you posted.

They got the back brake light fixed, turned out to be a bulb, y couldn't the original place I took it too figure that one out. Just lazy I guess.

Did you have to pay the first shop to tell you they weren't able to fix this? I'd call them back - not to yell or anything, just to mention that the other shop was able to successfully diagnose and repair a blown light bulb, and they may want to refer future customers over.

Did you have to pay the first shop to tell you they weren't able to fix this? I'd call them back - not to yell or anything, just to mention that the other shop was able to successfully diagnose and repair a blown light bulb, and they may want to refer future customers over.
Yea they charged me $10.60. think I'm going to quit this place, very quick with work they do, they inspected this car in about 45 min,.I think they don't want to do the work because they won't get their quota for spending too much time on my car, but there really is no where else to go in this rotten town. One guy down the street left my mother in law's car sit on the road for 3 weeks before he looked at it. Just didn't have the time. I will not go the the car dealership we use to go to because their labor has to be up to close to $90.00, last I checked which was about 2 years ago it was about $82.00, can't afford prices like that. Anyway, I might get the car back tomorrow, they put a new headlight switch in which will take care of that problem, I had everything removed except the mp3 player. The switch is the only part I needed. Now I get to pay for the labor. Should be ready tomorrow. They told me things were removed and all the wiring was left behind. A MESS. Keep ya posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I get to pick my Jeep up today. I believe I needed either 1 or 2 bulbs, don't know if they were $10 a piece or just $10, and I also needed a new headlight switch because on a few occasions I'd have no low beams, the switch was brand new, they could not fine a used one. The price of that I think was $134.00. The total bill to get this jeep rid of all the wiring that was just left for someone else to clean up is $759.00 and some change. I was floored. I was thinking around $500.00. So, like someone said previously I may as well keep it, I pretty much replaced a great deal of stuff. Now I will have everything working the way it should have when I bought it. I tried reporting the guy on ebay for all the lies he told about the car esp. the color, the ad stated it was black, it looks black in certain light but it is really a dark charcoal. Ebay would not do a thing because the car was more than 10 years old. Oh well, you live and learn, but it looks like I will be holding onto this one at least for the foreseeable future. Thanks all for the replies and for being a good sounding board.

Just a quick reply. The guy told me this car was a complete mess with all the wiring. Things were just disconnected and all the wiring was left behind. I purchased new visors for it a year ago but decided to keep the dvd player installed figuring whoever bought it would be able to get it working but since the visor would not stay up because of all the glue that was used to install it on the visor I had it removed, and told him 2 just throw everything in the back. The only thing I kept was an MP3 player which I rarely use. He also said the wrong bulbs were used, that jeep's require a certain type of bulb. I think I got 4 of them, heat shrink tubing @ $11.76, where would that have been used? So the parts were $156.82 and the labor a whopping $559.83 plus tax. The heated seats, both front heating elements are defective & need 2 b replaced, sunroof track is jammed & would need 2 b removed & repaired, they also removed the wiring harness for the XM & blue tooth system which I had no use for, I don't talk while driving, didn't know how to use it anyway. So that's the end of this repair job. I'd love to get the sunroof and heated seats fixed but it will b quite a while b 4 I consider that, unless I can find someone who would b willing to cut me a break, yea right, any of u guys from PA? jk Anyway, thanks again everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Heat shrink tubing is used to cover wire splices and connections. It's good stuff, if they took the time to use it they probably did a neat job.

Back