T-case help?

jeepjeep!

I have searched for an answer everywhere, I have an 04 Wj 4.0 with the Selec-trac, I have recently noticed when I put it in full time 4 there is a chatter or constant clicking when I press the gas. The faster I go the faster and louder it gets. If I go like 5mph it seems to disappear. Sometimes it will do it in reverse. When I put it back in 2wd it goes away. Also sometimes it takes a minuted to switch back into 2wd. I'm thinking maybe chain? If its even coming from the case. It used to hum a little in 4wd but just recently started chattering. 135k on jeep and tcase front and rear fluids replaced. Got up under it and driveshafts look fine and no play, i had my alignment man look at it the other day while rotating tires, i didn't mention the noise but he said things looked fine as far as alignment and nothing was worn in front end. Any ideas????

Check your front driveshaft closely. Crawl under and check for play. Make sure tire sizes are the same and close in wear.

Tire sizes are same, one on the front is brand new?? Others not so new. Maybe that's it? Seems to me if the chain was stretched I would have noticed before now. I haven't used 4wd alot since the summer but it didn't do it then and I used it alot.

My guess is a bad axle joint up front, or the t-case is going out. That's a relatively reliable t-case if properly maintained. How does the transfer case fluid look?

I can't tell if its in front or middle, hard to pinpoint while in drivers seat

It should have a little play, maybe 1/4" turn when in park. Which type of front axle joint do you have, ujoint or CV joint? What's the condition?

Its u joint up front, it seems to be ok. No play or movement up and down or side to side, 4 WD still works good as its doing this also

Back