Cherokee vs Grand Cherokee

98Chero

Those of you that used to be cherokee owners then purchased a grand cherokee what are the differences. I test drived a grand cherokee today off a used car lot and it seemed to be more roomy for taller people. Is the grand cherokee a better built jeep than the cherokee sport ? Just curious because I do alot of driving each week for my job.

the grand cherokee is very different. Rarely 2wd if even. Different body style. usually all power windows and locks. Basically luxury model compared to the cherokee.
I like them both to be honest. the cherokee is simpler in design though

I wouldn't say it's any 'better' built, but it does have a little more interior room. The wheelbase and track is the same, and the drivetrains are often very similar. Avoid most the full-time 4wd systems as they can be problematic if not very well maintained.

I like my xj but the gc's are definitely more roomy. Xj's also come with power everything and leather seats depending on which model you choose from.

My brother has owned both, and I really liked his grand. As bounty has said, I would avoid the All time 4wd systems, He had to have his trany fixed in his grand.

Thanks for all the input on the grand. I went back to the car lot and drove the gc again just make sure it didnt have any major problems. I used my 1990 cherokee 4x4 as a trade in + 2k and ended up with a 2000 Grand Laredo 4x2 and as most of you have mentioned it is a luxury model compared to the std cherokee. It drives more like an expedition or navigator but i know its a jeep because it has the same front end rattle that every jeep i have ever owned had. I know its the front rubber bushings.. and I will address that later. Overall Im very happy with it and Im glad to stay loyal to the Jeep Co products.

I have an 04 grand cherokee and its pretty sweet. My sister has a sport. I like em both.. I get about 12 mpg with a I6 4.0 and i guess the v8s do worse on gas..and stay away from the full time 4wd

well I have put 1200 miles on the GC sense my original post. Im real happy with my purchase but because it is a 2wd I dont really feel like Im "Jeepn" in it. We dont get alot of snow and ice in this area so i will have to wait and see how it will handle on the road in those conditions ?

I have an 04 GC with selec-trac, I LOVE IT. 2 in lift Rubicon 17s and 255 bf mud terrains.

I know where there's a 95 2WD GC for sale nearby.... I like the XJs better though. 12MPG from a 4.0??? HOW? I NEVER get that LOW. I get ~15ish on mostly in town driving and a solid 20 on the highway from my 97 XJ. stock lift 235/15 Michelins. I get slightly less from my 4.0 equipped 97 TJ, but never 12MPG bad. I attribute the worse mileage to the 3.07 gearing and 5th gear being all but useless. also stock OE height and 235 tires.

Don't forget the JGC has a Mopar automatic. (except early '93 with 4.0L) I got 17 on a bad day with my '93 and 12 with a '94 and my son's '96.

Back