Jeep Liberty - Key won't turn in ignition

jeeplibertyltd

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and I'm having an issue with the ignition cylinder. The key won't turn in either direction, almost as is if the wrong key is being used. Can someone out there help me? Has anybody else had this problem?

Re: 02 Jeep Liberty - Key won't turn in ignition

It could be that your steering wheel is locked - it happens to my TJ when I turn the wheels all the way and turn it off.

Put the key in, press the brake, and turn the wheel side to side (with a good amount of force) while trying to start it.

If Terry's advise doesn't work, the ignition tumbler is likely to be at fault. Sometimes you can spray a silicone lubricant in the ignition cylinder then place the key in the tumbler and lightly tap the top of the key and keep checking if it breaks the tumbler loose.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Somebody told me that I might need a whole new steering column. I'm not a licensed mechanic but for some reason I'm having a hard time swallowing that. If anything, I would lean towards a new ignition cylinder. I will try your suggestions and let you know how I make out....thanks guys.

Replacing the key tumbler + locksmith is a lot cheaper than the entire column which is un necessary .

If Terry's advise doesn't work, the ignition tumbler is likely to be at fault. Sometimes you can spray a silicone lubricant in the ignition cylinder then place the key in the tumbler and lightly tap the top of the key and keep checking if it breaks the tumbler loose.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Your fixed worked perfectly. Had to give it a firm tap with a hammer and problem solved. Thanks

Back