Leaf springs replacement?

B192734

Good morning! Quick question here. How do I tell if my leaf springs are in need of replacing? I know my shocks are bad, and need to be replaced, but I wasn't sure how to tell with the springs. Should I just change the shocks out and see what it looks like, or is there a way to tell?

They're good if they're slightly arched or even flat, but you don't want a negative arch. They're also bad if it's not a smooth arch or continuous straight line from one spring eye to the other, with any S shaped bends in the spring from axlewrap.

Check at the end of the 2nd leaf near the spring eye for a bend, that is the springs weakest point. Also check for a cracked bottom leaf where ubolt plate is attached.

Check your bumpstops and see how much uptravel the axle has before contacting the bumpstop.

If it looks like they really do need replacing, on a scale of 1-10 how much of a PITA are they? Bearing in mind that there's an Add-a-Leaf as well. I've never had to do that before, so...

Depends on how old the Jeep is and what kind of exposure it's had to the elements. It's common for the spring eye bolts to be seized in the bushings so be prepared to cut those off and replace them. Everything else involved is easier.

It's a 2000 Cherokee. It hasn't been beat on too hard, but it also parks outside most of the time. I replaced shocks on it once, and the bolts had to be cut out, so I assume (according to Murphy's law) that these would need it as well...

Back