question for salted roads people

desertrunner

So I'm dealing with something I never thought would be a problem down here in sunny California... My floor pan on the passanger side has a 2"x4" rusted out area.. how do I fix it and should I check for it other places? Can't really see it. just happened to hit it with a wrench while I was under it cause it looled suspicious

If its just surface rust you can just sand it down primer and paint it, or cut it out and weld a new peace in. There is products out there that neutralizes rust and turns it into like a black primer then paint it. I think Eastwood is a company that sells some of it. Our local auto stores around here sell similar products. If you think the rust was from salty roads, check any area that water from you tires could spray as you drive in wet wheather, big areas would be under the body just behind the front and rear tires and along your rocker panels and along the bottom of your tailgate. hope it helps

Best bet is to cut that section out and weld a new peice in. That sounds like typical East Coast rust!!! If you cut it out, cut about an inch beyond the rust so there is good metal to weld to. If you remove the carpet and cut the area out and take it to a welding shop, they shouldnt charge you more than $20 or so. When i got my jeep I had to replace the whole floor from front to back due to rust, parts of the floor was hanging down and most body mounts were gone.

If the rust is pretty bad, you will need to cut it out.

Check on line for a replacement panel, they are not all that expensive and order what you need. Jeep Replacement Panels - Quadratec

Once you have the panel, you can cut the floor. Remember, you don't need to cut the entire floor out to fit the panel because you can cut the panel too. How much flood to cut Vs how much panel to cut can be a tough call. Just make sure you get all the rust and cut to a point where you can get a good weld.

For a small spot, you can skip the panel and just weld in sheet steel.

Well lucky for me I have a parts xj to cut the pannel from and also I'm a welder by trade so looks like a free fix for me.. just when do I have time :/

It won't work for a 2x4 area, but POR15 makes a putty that I've used on floor pans before:
RESTOGRIP-POR-15 Inc.

and if you've got the cash there's a whole kit:
FLOOR PAN & TRUNK KIT-POR-15 Inc.

I'm a fan of POR15 products. Not as good as welding in new metal though.

On a side note, my first Jeep (1980 cj5) had a stop sign that the previous own had riveted in to cover the rust holes in the floor.

On a side note, my first Jeep (1980 cj5) had a stop sign that the previous own had riveted in to cover the rust holes in the floor.[/QUOTE]

See that's the fix I'm looking for :) time to go defaced public property !

Okay so I found even more rusted out area on the inside of the frame rail... Basically follows the exhaust from the front all the way back to the back seat... Is the pan I'm a 97 Cherokee different from a 93? I have a 97 that's completely stripped and it'd be nice to just take it from that one

Back