Truck motor Wont turn over, 1999 grand cherokee limited edition

im not sure if this is the right place to post this but i need help

when i go to start the truck, the motor will not turn over, there is no drain on the power, and there is one click, is it possible the motor could be blown? and how would i check this?

Sounds like a bad starter to me.

Make sure your battery is good (swap with another car perhaps), and if it still just clicks then I'd take the starter off and have it tested at your local parts store (Advance Auto Parts does this).

I've had problems with corroded cables or maybe loose connections that'd give the same "click" but not turn it over. If the battery checked out ok, cables were clean and tight. You might try pecking on the starter as someone trys to turn it over. Warning, do not have your hands or body in such an area that they may get, pinched, mashed or harmed in any way. < I'm sure you smarter than that but just in case.:)

Just recently , I had starter trouble . Having replaced a starter 12 years ago , I thought all would be fine . Last November , following hurricane sandy (as if we didn't have enough problems) , my starter quit. I guess I did not heed the warning signs . Slow turning , weak and strong current draw. Well, it quit and I replaced it . Yes , check all previously advised , including pecking at it . That will coax it to go when someone holds key in start. If it goes now, you still need to get it checked , it may have a weak armature . As I mentioned , I changed mine in November '12 , but again in February ! Why? Minor oil leak (addressed) and minor coolant leak (addressed to, hope :???:) ) from heater control valve above. In addition to changing starter ( please be careful as advised!) , please look for these leaks as parts stores will not continue to replace under limited warranty , as you know. No one wants to pay for the same job twice or more! These leaks can cause the demise of your starter faster than wear and tear.
We all want our 4x4s to be dependable so we must do our part to keep them as problem free as we can. A little inspection now will get you home every time and not waiting for a tow :redface:.

Last edited:
If its the starter, you can probably repair it instead of buying a new one. I repaired mine very early this spring after fighting it almost all winter (didnt know it was the starter at the time). mine would just click or do nothing at all and a new starter was not cheap, over 200 dollars (high torque starter) and people were telling me to just rebuild it, so I looked into it and thought I would start simple and just replace the starter brushes. The brushes were 4 dollars and something... The starter was too simple to take apart, only two bolts held it together and the guts just slide out of the starter housing. The brushes are right there and you just loosen a screw pull out the old, put in the new and tighten the screws back down, slide the guts back in the housing and bolt it down. It was too easy and I will probably not buy a new starter again unless the armiture go,s out. It works like a new one now. "NOTE".. I looked up the ID number on the side of my starter and it was a 1970,s model, yours being a 99 model, dont know if modern starters are still rebuildable but worth looking into for the price of a new one.

Last edited:
Back