'97 Grand Cherokee Laredo Brake lights not working

Jeepbreezie

So the brake lights are not working on my rig. I checked my fuse, fine. Checked my bulbs, fine. I have taillights and turn signals, just no brake lights...what else could be going on?

Read your post and happy on one hand that you have current reaching the back and that the turn, signal and hazards are functional , which means you should have no wiring issues.
Thats good, but your brake lights still don't work . Not good . Well , lets try reaching up to the brake light switch above the brake pedal and see if you can get to the switch and wires to probe them with a test light. Your looking for current going into the switch to verify if it is in fact getting current and that the fuse box is delivering . Guess you checked across the fuse and power on both sides ? That should mean switch is drawing from fuse. The switch may appear a bit complicated as it works with cruise control and other things , but you want to verify if it puts out to the line going to your rear brake lights . According to schematics I have , the 15A (fuse 9) wire is red/ lt green to stop light switch. Out of switch is w/t (white?) split into four wire splice to a LAMP OUTAGE MODULE. Out from module is LBL./w & P/W to each side & DG/W to center light.
i cannot tell from manual where this module is mounted , should be near brake pedal . As long as this schematics is correct for your model year , and color code correct , a test light will tell all as to where the current is and where it stops . If switch is putting out to this w/t wire and splices , I would look for the module and probe the preceding colored wires next. Pressing brake pedal and looking for current at the w/t wire(s) will be the first clue. Even if this diagram does not match your jeep , you will have some idea how to check system. Wiring schematics are usually accurate , but sometimes different models and options are not listed individually , hope this is right for you. My own '92 XJ will be of no help and my brother is gone for the weekend with his '2000 GC so I cannot even guess with his. Wish they still had their '98 GC . That was the ticket . :scratch: well , the culprits will most likely be the brake light switch or the module. Test light will verify what works and what dosen't.
Hope this helps , I know brake lights are important . Really, best of luck . Greg92jeepxj

Back